This easy to use handbook provides focused content for both basic and advanced procedures within the scope of practice for nurse practitioners. A succinct, yet practical reference, it teaches and illustrates a total of 77 common procedures performed by NPs and PAs. This second edition includes 30 new procedures and clear illustrations of the relevant anatomy and procedures. An indispensable resource for the primary care setting, it features a convenient spiral binding and a numbered list of procedures for quick clinical reference and easy double-checking.
- Comprehensive coverage is provided on the basic and advanced procedures performed by NPs and PAs in primary care practice.
- A consistent format offers easy access to information.
- Step-by-step numbered procedures are included for quick reference.
- Procedural and anatomical references are clearly illustrated.
- The spiral/lay flat binding allows users to easily refer to book in a clinical setting.
- An introductory chapter covers legal, educational, and reimbursement factors related to performing procedures.
- 30 new procedures include Suture Removal, Scabies and Herpes Scraping, Care of First and Second Degree Burns, Nail Avulsion, Animal and Human Bites, Audiometry, Peak Flow Meter, Treatment of Hemorrhoids, Ganglion Cyst Aspiration, and Incision and Draining of Bartholin Cysts.
- 6 new advanced procedures are highlighted with special icons.
- Additional content is included on tooth avulsion and dental procedures common in primary care practice.
- A new chapter on Genitourinary Procedures (Chapter 9) includes prostrate massage and self-injection treatment for impotence.
- An anatomy and pathophysiology review is featured in each chapter.
- More than 300 illustrations clearly demonstrate the steps of each procedure.
- Reimbursement information includes the relevant CPT codes.
- A generic sample patient education form is provided in an appendix.
Alphabetical Procedure List
1. Issues Relating to Primary Care Procedures NEW!
2. General Laboratory Procedures
Basic concepts of specimen collection
Finger stick blood glucose testing
3. Dermatological Procedures
Topical application of hemostatic agents NEW!
Anesthesia – topical, local & digital nerve block
Suturing simple lacerations
Suture removal NEW!
Wound closure with topical skin adhesive NEW!
Staple insertion and removal NEW and ADVANCED!
Skin lesion removal
Excision biopsy (elliptical) ADVANCED!
Punch biopsy NEW and ADVANCED!
Shave biopsy NEW and ADVANCED!
Abscess incision and drainage
Skin tag removal
Skin Specimen Collection
Scabies scraping NEW!
Herpes scraping – Tzanck smear NEW!
Fungal scraping – the KOH test
Other Types of Wound Care
Care of first and second degree burns NEW!
Unna paste boot and debridement for stasis, ischemic and diabetic foot ulcers NEW!
Foot and Nail Care
Nail care in the at-risk patient NEW!
Corn and callus management
Ingrown toenail and paronychia management
Subungual hematoma evacuation
Nail avulsion NEW!
Skin Trauma Resulting from Bites or Foreign Objects
Animal and human bites NEW!
Fishhook removal NEW!
Foreign body removal from skin NEW!
Ring removal NEW!
Body piercing NEW!
Skin caught in zipper NEW!
4. Eye, Ear, Nose, and Mouth Procedures
Removal of foreign body from the eye
Treatment of corneal abrasion
Removal of foreign body from the ear
Epistaxis and nasal packing
Removal of foreign body from the nose
Tooth avulsion and fracture NEW!
5. Respiratory Procedures
Peak flow meter NEW!
6. Cardiovascular Procedures
Continuous electrocardiography (Holter monitoring)
Doppler ultrasound of lower extremities
7. Gastrointestinal Procedures
Nasogastric tube insertion and removal
Rectal prolapse reduction
Treatment for Hemorrhoids NEW!
8. Orthopedic Procedures
Splinting – wrist and hand
Splinting – ankle sprains
Reduction of subluxed radial head
Arthrocentesis and joint or bursae injection NEW and ADVANCED!
Ganglion cyst aspiration NEW!
9. Genitourinary Procedures NEW!
Prostate massage NEW!
Self-injection treatments for impotence NEW!
10. Women’s Health Procedures
Papanicolaou smear test
The wet mount
Treatment of condylomata acuminata
Cervical cap placement
Norplant insertion and removal NEW and ADVANCED!
Incision and drainage of Bartholin cyst NEW and ADVANCED!
Intrauterine device (IUD) NEW and ADVANCED!
11. General Procedures of X-Ray Interpretation
A: Sample checklist for certification
B: Informed consent form
C: Sample patient education handout