Pediatric Physical Examination,
Page Count: 368
List Price: $56.95
This portable, photographic guide for nurse practitioners describes how to develop the unique range of skills required to assess children of all ages. Not often learned in the context of adult assessment, these skills help in easily and effectively examining children from childbirth through young adulthood. System chapters begin with the development of the fetus and take the reader through the key developmental stages of childhood. For infants and young children, this guide uses the "quiet-to-active" approach, popular among pediatric experts and more effective than the traditional head-to-toe approach.
- Over 200 photos and line drawings allow the reader to learn visually.
- Uses the quiet-to-active approach to pediatric examination, starting with listening and moving on to touching.
- Unique coverage of assessment of the preterm infant.
- Environmental Health History chapter covers the assessment of environmental risk factors in children.
- Quick-reference text boxes focus on abnormal conditions.
- Information Gathering boxes display questions and data needed from the patient/guardian.
- Key Points emphasize developmental and cultural factors in assessing a child.
- Charting examples show how to record physical findings in the medical record.
- Pediatric Pearls highlight key physical findings and techniques to improve pediatric examinations.
- An easy-access two-column style provides concise information.
Unit I: General Assessment
Chapter 1 Approach to Child & Adolescent Assessment
Chapter 2 Assessment Parameters
Chapter 3 Developmental Parameters
Chapter 4 Comprehensive Information Gathering
Chapter 5 Environmental Health History
Unit II: System Specific Assessment
Chapter 6 Skin
Chapter 7 Heart and Vascular System
Chapter 8 Chest and Respiratory System
Chapter 9 Head and Neck
Chapter 10 Lymphatic System
Chapter 11 Eyes
Chapter 12 Ears
Chapter 13 Nose, Mouth, and Throat
Chapter 14 Abdomen
Chapter 15 Male Genitalia
Chapter 16 Male & Female Breast
Chapter 17 Female Genitalia
Chapter 18 Musculoskeletal System
Chapter 19 Neurological System
Unit III: Comprehensive and Symptom-Focused Assessment
Chapter 20 Pediatric Health Visit Charting
A Growth and BMI charts
B Food Pyramid
C Denver II Developmental Screening Tool
D Pediatric Symptom Checklist
E Pediatric Lab Values
F Spanish to English Vocabulary and phrases
G Other Resources available online
Karen Duderstadt, RN, PhD, CPNP, PCNS, Clinical Professor, Department of Family Health Care Nursing, University of California - San Francisco; Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Children's Health Center, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, California