Drug Calculations Online for Ogden Calculation of Drug Dosages (Access Code), 8th Edition
Online Course - Access Card
Duration for access to this product, which may be at the discretion of your institution, is up to 36 months. Elsevier reserves the right to restrict or remove access due to changes in product portfolio or other market conditions.
- Includes three major drug calculation methods (ratio and proportion, formula and dimensional analysis) so you can apply the method which works best for you.
- Modules provide valuable practice and learning resources, including an overview, objectives, a reading assignment for the topic being covered, example problems, practice problems, and one or more quizzes.
- The latest drug administration techniques and devices are discussed, as well as detailed explanations of the various forms of administering drugs, including oral, intravenous, intra-muscular, subcutaneous and other routes used in drug administration.
- The most up-to-date, commonly used drugs are included, so you have frequent exposure to what is being used in the "real world" of clinical practice.
- Information on infusion pumps (enteral, single, multi-channel, PCA and insulin) helps you understand their increased use in drug administration.
- Recommendations from The Joint Commission (TJC) and the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) are followed for use of acceptable abbreviations and dose designations, to ensure patient safety and quality of care.
- Many math practice problems include a tutorial for each of the three drug calculation methods. When one of the solution buttons is chosen, a step-by-step tutorial to solving the problem in the method chosen is initiated for you to view.
- Animations demonstrate techniques of drug administration such as how to mix two medications in a syringe or withdrawing medication from an ampule.
- Case studies depict realistic patient scenarios, helping you apply what you've learned to a patient situation.
- Interactive self-assessment activities allow you to apply your knowledge in context and develop your critical thinking skills.
- Glossary with over 100 drug calculation- and medical-related terms serves as a quick reference to key definitions.
- Quizzes within each module can be used to evaluate your mastery of all the major topics covered in that particular module.
Module 1: Math review
Module 2: Units and Measurements for the Calculation of Drug Dosages
Metric to Household Measurements
Apothecaries and Household Measurements
Equivalents between Apothecary and Metric Measurements
Module 3: Preparation for Calculation of Drug Dosages
Safety in Medication Administration
Interpretation of Physician’s Orders
How to Read Drug Labels
Module 4: Calculation of Drug Dosages
Dosages Measured in Units
Intravenous Flow Rates
Critical Care Intravenous Flow Rate
Module 5: Drug Administration Considerations
Automated Medication Dispensing Systems
Special Considerations for the Administration of Medications to the Elderly
Home Care Considerations in the Administration of Medications
Sheila J. Ogden, MSN, RN, Formerly Director, Orthopaedic Service Line Clarian Health Partners Indianapolis, Indiana, Angela Koller and Linda Fluharty, RNC, MSN, ssociate Professor
School of Health Sciences
Ivy Tech Community College