Health Careers Today,3rd Edition
Page Count: 608
List Price: $85.95
This valuable guide provides an introduction to the basic health care environment and a preview of various popular health careers designed to help students make informed choices based on their interest and their commitment to the educational and professional responsibilities of each health career. It gives students a realistic glimpse of various health careers available today, outlining the roles and responsibilities, levels of education and credentialing, daily functions, and key disorders and assessment tools that are involved.
- Clear introductory information to approximately 60 health careers is presented, providing an excellent way for students to explore the roles and responsibilities of various health care careers.
- The book follows the National Health Care Skill Standards, which apply to workers across the entire health care industry.
- An Anatomy and Physiology unit (Unit 2) clearly presents the structure and function, assessment techniques, disorders, issues, and innovations of the various anatomy and physiology systems so students can see the applications of science in various career settings.
- Comprehensive career chapters incorporate the skills associated with specific careers into the chapter's discussion so readers can investigate the skills, functions, and issues related to that career.
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of every chapter give students an idea of what they should get out of the chapter and help them focus on critical information.
- Lists of Key Terms for each chapter provide definitions of terms that help the reader understand the chapter more clearly.
- Easy-to-follow Skill Lists in many chapters present step-by-step instructions on how to perform various career or health care related tasks.
- Figures, boxes, and tables throughout the book highlight important points in an easy-to-read format, often providing details not incorporated in the text discussion.
- Terminology boxes highlight the most important terminology in the chapter, provide their definitions, and break them into parts to aid in the reader's understanding.
- Abbreviation boxes list frequently used abbreviations and their meanings to familiarize readers with these abbreviations.
- Review questions and critical-thinking questions at the end of every chapter help students memorize important facts and apply them to chapter topics.
- Appendices provide important and practical information that students will need throughout their health care education and career.
- A new chapter on careers in alternative or complementary therapies and treatments covers careers in Alternative Medical Systems, Mind-Body Interventions, Biological-Based Therapies, Manipulative and Body-Based Methods, and Energy Therapies.
- Career chapters have been reorganized and broken down into three topics: Careers, Content Instruction, and Performance Instruction so that similar information on careers is available in each chapter.
- More applications and skills have been added, with critical thinking exercises at the end of every chapter and skill resources in the workbook to further engage students.
- A separate chapter on Foundational Skills has been added, featuring expanded, more detailed information on the skills.
- Information on bioterrorism has been added to relevant chapters, and careers associated with bioterrorism are discussed in the chapter on Biotechnology Careers.
Judith Gerdin, BSN, MS, Paradise Valley High School, Phoenix, AZ