This portable, practical guide covers all aspects of health assessment in a concise, step-by-step format. The logical head-to-toe organization provides a quick reference whether assessing a specific body system or conducting a complete physical exam. Up to date, streamlined, and clinically focused, this new edition is perfect for use in any setting.
- Chapters take a consistent, step-by-step approach to body system assessment with headings for Critical Thinking Application, Equipment, Patient Preparation, and History.
- Unexpected Assessment Findings present Findings, Significance, and Nursing Interventions for situations requiring immediate action.
- Highlights important patient safety, comfort, and effective assessment information.
- Delegation Considerations define the appropriate role of assistive personnel.
- Patient Education sections emphasize teaching opportunities in client interactions.
- Spiral binding allows for ease of use.
- 2-column format presents assessment techniques, as well as normal and abnormal findings, in a clear and easy-to-follow layout.
- Cultural Variations — including new coverage of East Indian, Middle Eastern, and East European Block ethnic groups — highlight client preferences and significant assessment findings.
- Age-Specific Variations include considerations for pediatric, adolescent, and older adult age groups.
1. Critical Thinking and Clinical Decision Making
2. Application of Critical Thinking and Clinical Decision Making
3. Nursing Health History and Interview Process
4. Preparing for the Physical Examination
6. Head, Neck, and Lymph Nodes
9. Nose and Sinuses
10. Mouth, Pharynx, and Throat
11. Thorax and Lungs
12. Heart and Vascular System
15. Female Genital-Urinary
16. Male Genital-Urinary
17. Rectum and Anus
18. Musculoskeletal System
19. Neurological System
Appendix A: NANDA List of Nursing Diagnosis
Appendix B: Temperature Conversion Chart
Appendix C: Adult Height and Weight Table
Appendix D: Body Mass Index
Appendix E: Snellen Eye Chart
Appendix F: E Chart
Appendix G: Rosenbaum Chart for Near Vision
Appendix H: U.S. Food Guide Pyramid
Appendix I: Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating
Appendix J: Vegetarian Food Pyramid