Covering more than 45 health careers, this book offers a practical overview to help students make an informed decision in choosing a profession. Not only does it discuss the roles and responsibilities of various occupations, it provides a solid foundation in the skills needed for all health careers. Clear explanations of anatomy and physiology provide essential knowledge of health related to the human body, and show how this applies to different careers. Content in the book now adheres to and reflects National Health Care Skills Standards.
- A clear writing style makes it easy for students to explore health career options.
- Health career discussions include the requirements and roles and responsibilities of each.
- Full-color drawings and photographs illustrate concepts, techniques, and equipment.
- Summaries of essential points introduce new concepts and help with exam preparation.
- Anatomy and Physiology unit covers all of the body systems, and applies A&P to practice.
- Skill Activities provide the opportunity to obtain hands-on experience.
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of each chapter help readers focus on key information.
- Key Terms with definitions are listed at the beginning of each chapter.
- Core concepts are reinforced with more than 70 content boxes, skill boxes, review questions, and critical thinking questions.
- A comprehensive glossary includes all key terms and definitions for quick reference.
- The companion CD-ROM has been completely revised, now including over 20 all-new skills videos, animations, chapter-specific quizzes, and an audio glossary.
- NEW Culture and Health Care chapter provides information on cultural and religious diversity as required by the National Health Care Skills Standards (NHCSS), including strategies that various cultures use to solve health-related problems, clients and patients who use English as a second language, and the awareness of religious diversity as it relates to client care.
- NEW Standards and Accountabilities section appears at the end of appropriate chapters, with the specific number and name of each national standard covered, along with its page number, so that correlations can be found quickly and easily.
- Revised Interpersonal Dynamics and Communication chapter now includes information on team-building, goal-setting, evaluation, and traits of leaders and team members.
- NEW chapter summaries review and identify vital content covered in each chapter.
- Seven new skills have been added, offering additional hands-on experience.
Unit One – Core Knowledge
Chapter 1: Health Care of the Past, Present, and Future
Chapter 2: Interpersonal Dynamics and Communication
Chapter 3: Safety Practices
Chapter 4: Legal and Ethical Principles
Chapter 5: Culture and Health Care
Chapter 6: Employability Skills
Chapter 7: Foundation Skills
Chapter 8: Wellness, Growth, and Development
Unit Two – Anatomy and Physiology
Chapter 9: Body Organization
Chapter 10: Integumentary System
Chapter 11: Cardiovascular System
Chapter 12: Circulatory System
Chapter 13: Respiratory System
Chapter 14: Skeletal System
Chapter 15: Muscular System
Chapter 16: Digestive System
Chapter 17: Urinary System
Chapter 18: Endocrine System
Chapter 19: Nervous System
Chapter 20: Sensory System
Chapter 21: Reproductive System
Unit Three – Career Clusters
Chapter 22: Laboratory Careers
Chapter 23: Imaging Careers
Chapter 24: Nursing Careers
Chapter 25: Medical Careers
Chapter 26: Dental Careers
Chapter 27: Complementary and Alternative Careers
Chapter 28: Veterinary Careers
Chapter 29: Community and Social Careers
Chapter 30: Mental Health Careers
Chapter 31: Rehabilitative Careers
Chapter 32: Emergency Health Careers
Chapter 33: Information and Administration Careers
Chapter 34: Environmental Careers
Chapter 35: Biotechnology Careers
I: Common Prefixes, Word Roots, and Suffixes
II: Abbreviations and Symbols
III: Vitamins and Minerals