The Practice of Shiatsu, 1st Edition
Most review copies are eBooks – how fast!
A review copy request is most likely to be fulfilled as an eBook on VitalSource rather than a print product, unless no eBook is available. eBooks become available in as little as a few hours. Print products will take between 7 and 10 days to arrive. To request a print copy, please contact the Evolve Support Center
or your Education Solutions Consultant
This text is the foundational resource needed for massage and manual therapists interested in incorporating this unique therapy into their practice. It begins by teaching complex Eastern philosophies, theories, and ideas in ways that are understandable to students in Western culture. Full-color photos and illustrations accompany concepts and techniques, and the text includes a DVD with nearly 2 hours of technique video showing the specific applications and techniques described in the book.
- Comprehensive textbook introduces you to all the essentials of shiatsu, offering a complete background on the history of shiatsu, relevant Eastern philosophies and Asian bodywork concepts, the channels (meridians), and proper body mechanics.
- A separate Theory and Practice section explores various assessment methods and how to evaluate assessment information, techniques and positions to address imbalances in each of the Five Elements, and advanced techniques.
- Includes all of the helpful learning features you expect from a Mosby's Massage Career Development Series title, such as a vibrant, full-color design, chapter outlines and learning objectives, key terms, workbook sections, and a companion DVD.
- Authored by a leading expert and certified practitioner with a background in shiatsu education and instruction.
- DVD packaged with the book contains over 90 minutes of video showing specific applications and techniques performed by the author, such as qigong, basic shiatsu techniques, jitsu and kyo, basic kata, including the hara techniques, and a standard treatment session.
- Each video clip on the DVD is referenced in the textbook with numbered icons that direct you to particular clips on the DVD.
- Over 330 full-color illustrations visually represent concepts and techniques.
- Special quote boxes interspersed throughout each chapter, contain thoughts and proverbs from Buddha, Eleanor Roosevelt, the Dalai Lama, Helen Keller, and many others.
Unit 1: The Fundamentals of Shiatsu
1. History of Shiatsu
2. Foundations of Asian Medicine
3. Five Element Theory
4. Shiatsu Concepts
5. Preparation to Practice Shiatsu
6. Basic Kata
Unit 2: Integration of Theory and Practice
7. Assessments and the Treatment Session
8. Imbalances in Each of the Five Elements and How to Address Them
9. Additional Techniques
Conception (Directing) Vessel and Governing Vessel
Sandra K. Anderson, BA, LMT, ABT, NCTMB, Co-Owner and Practitioner, Tucson Touch Therapies Treatment Center and Education Center, Tucson, AZ