Pharmacology for Pharmacy Technicians,
Page Count: 776
List Price: $75.95
Comprehensive yet approachable, PHARMACOLOGY FOR PHARMACY TECHNICIANS provides just the right type and level of pharmacology information you need for successful practice. With coverage of body systems structure, as well as patient scenarios, anatomy and physiology refreshers, drug monographs with pill photos, and much more, this book presents an often-challenging subject in a practical way to make learning easier.
- UNIQUE! A list of drug names and pronunciations discussed within the chapter familiarizes you with the correct spellings and pronunciations of the terminology you need on the job.
- UNIQUE! Helpful Tech Notes throughout the text enhance your understanding of the practical knowledge you need in the pharmacy setting and help you relate new concepts to practical use.
- UNIQUE! Mini drug monographs in every body system and drug classification chapter provide you with valuable drug information and pill photos for quick reference.
- UNIQUE! Critical thinking Technician’s Corner exercises help you practice your critical thinking skills by providing you with a set of facts and asking you to reach a conclusion.
- Vibrant full-color design makes difficult content more friendly and visually appealing with 275 line drawings and photographs throughout the text.
- Overviews of anatomy and physiology at the beginning of each body system unit provide a basic understanding of anatomy and physiology, as well as how drugs work in the body.
- Objectives listed at the beginning of each chapter clearly outline what you should learn from the chapter materials.
- Key Terms with definitions at the beginning of each chapter help you identify and learn new terms more easily.
- A convenient, comprehensive Glossary in both English and Spanish provides a central location to look up all terminology.
- Evolve companion website includes chapter-specific quizzes, Internet research activities, and web links to provide you with even more practice.
Unit 1: Introduction to Pharmacology
1. Fundamentals of Pharmacology
2. Principles of Pharmacology
4. Drug Interactions and Medication Errors
Unit 2: Drugs Affecting the Autonomic Nervous System and Central Nervous System
Introduction to the Nervous System
5. Treatment of Anxiety
6. Treatment of Depression
7. Treatment of Schizophrenia and Other Psychoses
8. Treatment of Parkinson’s Disease and Huntington’s Disease
9. Treatment of Seizure Disorders
10. Treatment of Pain
11. Treatment of Migraine Headache and Alzheimer’s Disease
12. Treatment of Sleep Disorders and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Unit 3: Drugs Affecting the Musculoskeletal System
Introduction to the Musculoskeletal System
13. Neuromuscular Blockade
14. Treatment of Muscle Spasms
15. Treatment of Autoimmune Diseases That Affect the Musculoskeletal System
16. Treatment of Osteoporosis and Paget’s Disease of the Bone
17. Treatment of Hyperuricemia and Gout
Unit 4: Treatment of Diseases of the Ophthalmic and Otic Systems
Introduction to the Opthalmic and Otic Systems
18. Treatment of Glaucoma and Other Disorders of the Eye
19. Treatment of Vertigo and Other Disorders of the Ear
20. Treatment of Ophthalmic and Otic Infections
Unit 5: Drugs Affecting the Cardiovascular System
Introduction to the Cardiovascular System and Hematological System
21. Treatment of Angina
22. Treatment of Hypertension
23. Treatment of Heart Failure
24. Treatment of Myocardial Infarction and Stroke
25. Treatment of Arrhythmia
Unit 6: Drugs Affecting the Gastrointestinal System
Introduction to the Gastrointestinal (Digestive) System
26. Treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and Peptic Ulcer
27. Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease
Unit 7: Drugs Affecting the Respiratory System
Introduction to the Respiratory System
28. Treatment of Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
29. Treatment of Allergies
Unit 8: Drugs Affecting the Urinary System
Introduction to the Urinary System
30. Treatment of Prostate Disease and Erectile Dysfunction
31. Treatment of Fluid and Electrolyte Disorders
Unit 9: Drugs Affecting the Endocrine System
Introduction to the Endocrine System
32. Treatment of Thyroid Disorders
33. Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus
34. Drugs That Affect the Reproductive System
Unit 10: Drugs Affecting the Immunological System
Introduction to the Lymphatic and Immune System
35. Treatment of Bacterial Infection
36. Treatment of Viral Infections
37. Treatment of Cancers
38. Vaccines and Immunosuppressants
Unit 11: Drugs Affecting the Integumentary System
Introduction to the Integumentary System (Skin & Its Appendages)
39. Treatment of Fungal Infections
40. Treatment of Decubitus Ulcers and Burns
41. Treatment of Acne
42. Treatment of Eczema
43. Treatment of Lice and Scabies
Kathy Moscou, RPh, MPH, BSc(Pharm), Research Officer, Faculty of Health, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Former Director, Pharmacy Technician Program (1989-2006), North Seattle Community College, WA and Karen Snipe, CPhT, AS, BA, MEd, Pharmacy Technician Program Coordinator, Department Head, Diagnostic and Imaging Services, Trident Technical College, Charleston, SC