Physical Dysfunction Practice Skills for the Occupational Therapy Assistant, 3rd Edition
Covering the scope, theory, and approaches to the practice of occupational therapy, Physical Dysfunction Practice Skills for the Occupational Therapy Assistant, 3rd Edition prepares you to care for adults who have physical disabilities. It takes a client-centered approach, following the latest OT Practice framework as it defines your role as an OTA in physical dysfunction practice. New to this edition is coverage of polytrauma, advances in prosthetics and assistive technologies, and assessment and interventions of traumatic brain injury problems related to cognitive and visual perception. Written by respected educator Mary Beth Early, Physical Dysfunction Practice Skills for the Occupational Therapy Assistant helps you develop skills in the assessment of client factors, intervention principles, and clinical reasoning.
- Case studies offer snapshots of real-life situations and solutions, with many threaded throughout an entire chapter.
- A client-centered approach allows you to include the client when making decisions about planning and treatment, using the terminology set forth by the 2008 Occupational Therapy Practice Framework.
- Evidence-based content includes clinical trials and outcome studies, especially those relating to intervention.
- Key terms, chapter outlines, and chapter objectives introduce the essential information in each chapter.
- Reading guide questions and summaries in each chapter make it easier to measure your comprehension of the material.
- Information on prevention is incorporated throughout the book, especially in the Habits on Health and Wellness chapter.
- Cultural diversity/sensitivity information helps you learn about the beliefs and customs of other cultures so you can provide appropriate care.
- An Evolve companion website reinforces learning with resources such as review questions, forms for practice, crossword puzzles, and other learning activities.
- New content on the latest advances in OT assessment and intervention includes prosthetics and assistive technologies, and updated assessment and interventions of TBI (traumatic brain injury) problems related to cognitive and visual perception.
Part I: Foundations 1. Occupational Therapy and Physical Disabilities 2. The Disability Experience and the Therapeutic Process 3. Infection Control and Safety Issues in the Clinic Part II: Process 4. Occupational Therapy Process: Evaluation and Intervention in Physical Dysfunction 5. Documentation of Occupational Therapy Services Part III: Assessment 6. Assessment of Motor Control and Functional Movement 7. Assessment of Joint Range of Motion 8. Assessment of Muscle Strength 9. Evaluation and Observation of Sensation, Perception and Cognition Part IV: Intervention Principles 10. Teaching and Learning in Motor Performance 11. Habits of Health and Wellness 12. Occupations, Purposeful Activities, and Preparatory Activities Part V: Performance in Areas of Occupation 13. Activities of Daily Living 14. Assistive Technology 15. Moving in the Environment 16. Sexuality: An Activity of Daily Living 17. Work 18. Promoting Engagement in Leisure and Social Participation Part VI: Interventions for Performance Skills and Client Factors 19. The Older Adult 20. Hand Splinting 21. Neurotherapeutic Approaches to Treatment 22. Interventions for Visual and Other Sensory Dysfunction 23. Interventions for Disturbances in Cognition and Perception Part VII: Clinical Applications 24. Cerebrovascular Accident 25. Traumatic Brain Injury 26. Degenerative Diseases of the Central Nervous System 27. Spinal Cord Injury 28. Neurogenic and Myopathic Dysfunction 29. Arthritic Diseases 30. Acute Hand Injuries 31. Hip Fractures and Lower Extremity Joint Replacement 32. Burns 33. Amputation and Prosthetics 34. Cardiac Dysfunction and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 35. Oncology 36. HIV Infection and AIDS
Mary Beth Early, MS, OTR/L, Professor, Occupational Therapy Assistant Program, LaGuardia Community College, The City University of New York, Long Island City, NY