The Human Body in Health & Disease - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Get a complete introduction to anatomy and physiology with the resource that makes challenging concepts easier to understand! Now in its 5th edition, The Human Body in Health & Disease clarifies the structures and functions of the human body with a proven, highly visual, student-friendly approach. A brand new design eases you into A&P with an inviting layout and vibrant, detailed illustrations included with text content.
- A straightforward, conversational writing style clearly explains difficult anatomic and physiologic terminology and principles.
- Quick Check questions, Critical Thinking Challenges, case studies, chapter tests, and more provide helpful review and self-assessment opportunities at the end of each chapter.
- Health and Well-Being boxes reinforce the basic concepts of human structure and function by applying them to current problems in public health, athletics, and fitness.
- Clinical Applications demonstrate how disease affects normal function as well as how therapies can restore normal function.
- Research, Issues, and Trends boxes focus on the dynamic fields of science, technology, and ethics underlying modern concerns in human biology.
- Science Applications examine career paths by exploring the work of influential figures in the history of science.
- Chapter outlines introduce each chapter and allow you to focus on the most important themes and concepts.
- Chapter objectives identify key goals and highlight the information you should master in each chapter.
- User-friendly design includes more than 450 new or updated illustrations and breaks free of the traditional 2-column format of most A&P texts to simplify explanations of difficult concepts and enhance your learning.
- The Clear View of the Human Body transparencies provide a unique atlas of the male and female body that you can peel back layer-by-layer.
- AnimationDirect ties textbook content to matching animations on the companion CD to demonstrate physiologic functions and reinforce understanding.
- Dozens of full-color micrographs of cellular structures introduce you to anatomy and physiology at its most basic level.
- Study Tips at the beginning of each chapter offer practical advice for learning new material.
1. An Introduction to the Structure and Function of the Body 2. Chemistry of Life 3. Cells and Tissues 4. Organ Systems of the Body 5. Mechanisms of Disease 6. The Integumentary System and Body Membranes 7. The Skeletal System 8. The Muscular System 9. The Nervous System 10. The Senses 11. The Endocrine System 12. Blood 13. The Heart and Heart Disease 14. The Circulation of the Blood 15. The Lymphatic System and Immunity 16. The Respiratory System 17. The Digestive System 18. Nutrition and Metabolism 19. The Urinary System 20. Fluid and Electrolyte Balance 21. Acid-Base Balance 22. The Reproductive Systems 23. Growth and Development 24. Genetics and Genetic Diseases Chapter Test and Case Studies Answers Glossary Illustration/Photo Credits Index
Gary A. Thibodeau, PhD, Chancellor Emeritus and Professor Emeritus of Biology, University of Wisconsin, River Falls, River Falls, Wisconsin, USA and Kevin T. Patton, PhD, Professor of Anatomy & Physiology Instruction, New York Chiropractic College, Seneca Falls, New York; Professor Emeritus of Life Sciences, St. Charles Community College, Cottleville, Missouri; Assistant Professor Emeritus of Physiology, Course Director Emeritus in Human Physiology, St. Louis University Medical School, St. Louis, Missouri, USA