Well-known for its authoritative and comprehensive coverage, complete treatment of pediatric pathophysiology, and the most extensive illustration program in its field, this textbook features expert content on everything from the general principles of pathophysiology to detailed discussions of genetics and specific diseases. Chapters on alteration present the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment of each disease to help you learn to identify normal anatomy and physiology, as well as alterations of function in adults and in children.
- Unparalleled coverage of disease processes makes this text the most comprehensive pathophysiology text available.
- The largest full-color art program in the field illustrates the clinical manifestations of diseases and disease processes
- Consistent presentations of each disease with pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment help you find the information you need quickly and easily.
- Ten separate pediatric chapters cover the pathophysiologic effects on children.
- Aging content is highlighted throughout the text.
- An Introduction to Pathophysiology section at the beginning of the text provides a solid start to the basics of the study of disease.
- Algorithms and flowcharts of diseases and disorders illustrate the disease process in an easy-to-understand format.
- Nutrition and Disease boxes present evidence-based information on the relationship between health promotion through diet and disease.
- Updated content on leukocytes in pain modulation, seizure disorders, brain injuries and disorders, acute encephalopathies, reproductive disorders, and much more keep you at the cutting edge of this constantly changing field.
- What’s New? boxes highlight the most current research and findings to ensure you have the most up-to-date information.
- New animations, review questions, Key Points, and an audio glossary have been added to the Evolve companion website to strengthen your understanding of key concepts.
- Media Resources Lists encourage you to develop a study plan to master the important content in each chapter.
Introduction to Pathophysiology
PART ONE: CENTRAL CONCEPTS OF PATHOPHYSIOLOGY: CELLS AND TISSUES
Unit I: The Cell
- Cellular Biology
- Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology
- The Cellular Environment: Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases
- Genes and Genetic Diseases
- Genes, Environment, Life-style, and Common Diseases
- Innate Immunity: Inflammation
- Adaptive Immunity
- Alterations in Immunity and Inflammation
- Stress and Disease
- Biology, Clinical Manifestations, and Treatment of Cancer
- Cancer Epidemiology
- Cancer in Children
- Structure and Function of the Neurologic System
- Pain, Temperature Regulation, Sleep, and Sensory Function
- Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics and Motor Function
- Disorders of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems and the Neuromuscular Junction
- Neurobiology of Schizophrenia, Mood Disorders, and Anxiety Disorders
- Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children
- Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation
- Alterations of Hormonal Regulation
- Structure and Function of the Reproductive Systems
- Alterations of the Reproductive Systems
- Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Structure and Function of the Hematologic System
- Alterations of Erythrocyte Function
- Alterations of Leukocyte, Lymphoid, and Hemostatic Function
- Alterations of Hematologic Function in Children
- Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
- Alterations of Cardiovascular Function
- Alterations of Cardiovascular Function in Children
- Structure and Function of the Pulmonary System
- Alterations of Pulmonary Function
- Alterations of Pulmonary Function in Children
- Structure and Function of the Renal and Urologic Systems
- Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function
- Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function in Children
- Structure and Function of the Digestive System
- Alterations of Digestive Function
- Alterations of Digestive Function in Children
- Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System
- Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function
- Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function in Children
- Structure, Function, and Disorders of the In
Unit II: Genes and Gene-Environment Interaction
Unit III: Mechanisms of Self-Defense
Unit IV: Cellular Proliferation: Cancer
PART TWO: PATHOPHYSIOLOGIC ALTERATIONS: ORGANS AND SYSTEMS
Unit V: The Neurologic System
Unit VI: The Endocrine System
Unit VII: The Reproductive Systems
Unit VIII: The Hematologic System
Unit IX: The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
Unit X: The Pulmonary System
Unit XI: The Renal and Urologic System
Unit XII: The Digestive System
Unit XIII: The Musculoskeletal System
Unit XIV: The Integumentary System
Kathryn L. McCance, RN, PhD, Professor, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT and Sue E. Huether, RN, PhD, Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT