Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials for the Dental Team - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Page Count: 384
List Price: $51.95
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
Maintain safety and infection control in the dental office with Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials for the Dental Team, Fourth Edition. This practical and comprehensive resource covers the basic concepts of infectious disease and infection control, including step-by-step descriptions of specific procedures and supplies and equipment needed for disease prevention. The Fourth Edition features new chapters on the latest topics impacting office safety and the most current regulatory recommendations for protection of dental patients and dental workers. No matter what your role on the dental team, this text will help you implement infection control in everyday practice.
- Follows dental curricula requirements for infection control
- Subject matter is organized logically, making it easier to successfully comprehend the material.
- Tables are used throughout the text to highlight similarities and differences among related topics; boxes draw your attention to the information you need to remember most.
- Line drawings and photos show the latest equipment, supplies, and procedures.
- Selected readings at the end of each chapter provide sources of further information on the topics discussed.
- The Glossary defines all key terms in one convenient place.
- The Resource List includes organizations, federal agencies, and website addresses to help you stay current on rapidly changing topics.
- An account of the first reported patient-to-patient spread of the hepatitis B virus in a dental office
- A detailed description of the three types of steam sterilizers including the newest type B office model vacuum sterilizer
- Information on the wipe-discard-wipe approach to surface disinfection
- NEW chapter on the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) helps you understand OSHA standards and know how to respond in the event of an inspection.
- Two new tables on office safety management: Measure the Effectiveness of an Infection Control Program and Examples of What to Evaluate in a Dental Office Infection Control Evaluation Program
- NEW chapter on medical tourism looks at the practice of traveling internationally to obtain health care
- NEW chapter on greener infection control addresses the impact that infection control procedures can have on the environment and provides suggestions for developing a more eco-friendly program.
- Addition of Guidelines for Preventing the Transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis In Health-Care Settings, 2005, Dental-Care Settings Excerpt
- A new accompanying EVOLVE site provides a variety of learning resources, including answers for the Review Questions found at the end of each chapter and a printable version of the Exposure Incident Report.
PART 1: THE MICROBIAL WORLD
Chapter 1: Scope of Microbiology and Infection Control
Chapter 2: Characteristics of Microorganisms
Chapter 3: Development of Infectious Diseases
Chapter 4: Emerging Diseases
Chapter 5: Oral Microbiology and Plaque-Associated Diseases
PART 2: INFECTION CONTROL
Chapter 6: Bloodborne Pathogens
Chapter 7: Oral and Respiratory Diseases
Chapter 8: Infection Control Rationale and Regulations
Chapter 9: Immunization
Chapter 10: Protective Barriers
Chapter 11: Instrument Processing
Chapter 12: Surface and Equipment Asepsis
Chapter 13: Dental Unit Water Asepsis
Chapter 14: Aseptic Techniques
Chapter 15: Laboratory and Radiographic Asepsis
Chapter 16: Waste Management
Chapter 17: A Clinical Asepsis Protocol
PART 3: OFFICE SAFETY
Chapter 18: About the Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Chapter 19: OSHA Inspections
Chapter 20: Management of the Office Safety Program
Chapter 21: Medical Tourism
Chapter 22: Managing Chemicals Safely in the Office
Chapter 23: Greener Infection Control
Chapter 24: Employee Fire Prevention and Emergency Action Plans
Chapter 25: Infection Control Concerns During Remodeling or Construction
APPENDIX A: Infection Control and Hazardous Materials Management Resource List
APPENDIX B: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health-Care Settings—2003
APPENDIX C: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guidelines for Prevention of Tuberculosis in Dental Settings
APPENDIX D: Organization for Safety and Asepsis Procedures
APPENDIX E: Exposure Incident Report
APPENDIX F: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
APPENDIX G: Infection Control and the American Dental Association (ADA)
APPENDIX H: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration Bloodborne Pathogens Standard
Chris H. Miller, BA, MS, PhD, Professor Emeritus of Oral Microbiology
Indiana University School of Dentistry
Indianapolis, Indiana and Charles John Palenik, MS, PhD, MBA, Director, Infection Control Research and Services
Department of Oral Biology
Indiana University School of Dentistry