Leading and Managing in Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Leading and Managing in Nursing, 5th Edition, by Patricia Yoder-Wise, successfully blends evidence-based guidelines with practical application. The new edition is designed to prepare you for the nursing leadership issues of today and tomorrow, providing just the right amount of information to equip you with the tools you need to succeed on the NCLEX and in practice. This thoroughly updated edition is organized around the issues that are central to the success of professional nurses in today’s constantly changing healthcare environment, including patient safety, workplace violence, consumer relationships, cultural diversity, resource management, and many more.
- Merges theory, research, and practical application for an innovative approach to nursing leadership and management.
- Offers a practical, evidence-based approach to today's key issues, including patient safety, workplace violence, team collaboration, delegation, managing quality and risk, staff education, supervision, and managing costs and budgets.
- Features easy-to-find boxes, a full-color design, and new photos that highlight key information for quick reference and effective study.
- Research and Literature Perspective boxes summarize timely articles of interest, helping you apply current research to evidence-based practice.
- Includes critical thinking questions in every chapter, challenging you to think critically about chapter concepts and apply them to real-life situations.
- Provides Chapter Checklists for a quick review and study guide to the key ideas in each chapter, theory boxes with pertinent theoretical concepts, a glossary of key terms and definitions, and bulleted lists for applying key content to practice.
- Features new chapters on Patient Safety and Workplace Violence, illustrating the nurse manager’s role in ensuring patient and worker safety.
- Includes Need to Know Now, bulleted lists of critical points that help you focus on essential research-based information in your transition to the workforce.
- Gives current research examples in The Evidence boxes at the end of each chapter, illustrating how to apply research to practice.
- Provides casrevised Challenge and Solutions case scenarios of real-life leadership and management issues, giving you contemporary scenarios covering current issues in nursing leadership and management.
PART 1: CORE CONCEPTS Overview 1. Leading, Managing, and Following
2. Patient Safety: The Core of Healthcare Leadership – NEW! 3. Developing the Role of Leader 4. Developing the Role of Manager
Context 5. Legal and Ethical Issues 6. Making Decisions and Solving Problems 7. Healthcare Organizations 8. Understanding and Designing Organizational Structures 9. Cultural Diversity in Health Care 10. Power, Politics, and Influence PART 2: MANAGING RESOURCES 11. Caring, Communicating, and Managing with Technology 12. Managing Costs and Budgets 13. Care Delivery Strategies 14. Staffing and Scheduling 15. Selecting, Developing, and Evaluating Staff PART 3: CHANGING THE STATUS QUO 16. Strategic Planning, Goal-Setting, and Marketing 17. Leading Change 18. Building Teams Through Communication and Partnerships 19. Collective Action 20. Managing Quality and Risk 21. Translating Research into Practice PART 4: INTERPERSONAL AND PERSONAL SKILLS
Interpersonal 22. Consumer Relationships 23. Conflict: The Cutting Edge of Change 24. Managing Personal/Personnel Problems 25. Workplace Violence: Threats from Outside and Within -- NEW! 26. Delegation: An Art of Professional Practice Personal 27. Role Transition 28. Self Management: Stress and Time 29. Managing your Career
Future 30. Thriving for the Future Glossary Index
Patricia S. Yoder-Wise, RN, EdD, NEA-BC, ANEF, FAAN, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX