Nursing Research - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,7th Edition
Now in full color, this easy-to-understand textbook offers a comprehensive introduction to nursing research concepts and methods. Evidence-based practice is emphasized throughout, with clear guidelines for evaluating research and applying scientific evidence to practice. Coverage includes qualitative and quantitative research, appraising and critiquing research, critical thinking, and clinical decision-making using research information.
- Separate coverage of quantitative and qualitative research makes each type of research easier to understand.
- Research Vignettes present real-world applications of nursing research to help bridge the gaps among clinical research, academia, and clinical practice.
- Sample critiques of research articles correspond to the principles presented throughout the book and demonstrate how to apply key concepts and techniques when evaluating actual nursing research articles.
- An increased focus on evidence-based practice highlights its importance to nursing research and addresses the proper way to appraise and apply research to practice.
- Completely updated content includes new sample research articles that keep you current with the latest research topics and trends.
- A user-friendly, full-color layout features helpful boxes, tables, and illustrations that highlight key concepts and help you quickly find information.
- Balanced coverage of qualitative and quantitative research ensures each type is equally represented in value and importance to evidence-based practice.
- A set of Research Appraisal Guidelines inside the back cover offers quick reference for completing assignments or evaluating research.
PART I. OVERVIEW OF RESEARCH AND EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
- Integrating the Processes of Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- Research Questions, Hypotheses, and Clinical Questions
- Gathering and Appraising the Literature
- Introduction to Qualitative Research
- Qualitative Approaches to Research
- Appraising Qualitative Research
- Introduction to Quantitative Research
- Experimental and Quasiexperimental Designs
- Nonexperimental Designs
- Legal and Ethical Issues
- Data Collection Methods
- Reliability and Validity
- Data Analysis: Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
- Understanding Research Findings
- Appraising Quantitative Research
- Developing an Evidence-Based Practice
- Tools for Applying Evidence to Practice
PART II. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUALITATIVE RESEARCH
PART III. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH
PART IV. APPLICATION OF RESEARCH: EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
Geri LoBiondo-Wood, PhD, RN, FAAN, Professor, Director of PhD Nursing Program, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, School of Nursing, Nursing Systems and Technology, Houston, Texas and Judith Haber, PhD, RN, FAAN, The Ursula Springer Leadership Professor in Nursing, Rory Meyers College of Nursing, New York University, New York, New York