Clinical Assessment in Respiratory Care - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Page Count: 496
List Price: $67.95
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
The only respiratory care text devoted exclusively to patient assessment! By performing a thorough patient assessment, you’ll be able to assist physicians in the decision-making process regarding treatment, in evaluating the treatment’s effectiveness, and in determining if changes in the treatment need to be made. The book’s comprehensive approach covers all of the most important aspects and topics of assessment. This edition is streamlined to emphasize learning objectives. And you can prepare for the CRT exam more effectively with the new NBRC Exam Matrix Correlation Guide!
- A comprehensive approach covers all of the most important aspects of assessment, so you can assess patients effectively.
- Additional Questions to Ask About boxes list questions that you should ask patients (e.g., coughing, sputum, shortness of breath) or ask yourself (e.g., lung sounds you are hearing, blood pressure, respiratory rate).
- Learning objectives, chapter outlines, chapter overviews, and key terms lists begin each chapter, preparing you for the key topics and content you will learn.
- Key Point summaries and assessment questions reflect and emphasize the key information identified in the learning objectives.
- Answers to assessment questions help you review by including rationales and page references to the textbook, by reflecting the NBRC format, and by supporting learning objectives.
- Enhanced Simply Stated boxes emphasize important concepts.
- Additional case studies help you apply chapter content to clinical scenarios.
- Content from the text is related to the NBRC exam matrix for the CRT exam on a companion Evolve website, helping you better prepare for the difficult board exams.
- A new Neurological Assessment chapter focuses on conscious sedation.
- A discussion of health literacy addresses the importance of determining the patient’s level of understanding when conducting a patient assessment.
- Discussions of the assessment of the obese patient prepare you for some of the unique challenges related to assessing obese patients (e.g., the physical exam and chest x-ray).
- Key Point summaries in every chapter emphasize the learning objectives and provide an easy-to-find overview.
- A list of abbreviations common to assessment is included on the inside of the cover for quick reference.
- Procedure checklists for common assessment procedures are included in a new appendix, with PDFs of the forms available on the Evolve website.
1. Preparing for the Patient Encounter
2. The Medical History and the Interview
3. Cardiopulmonary Symptoms
4. Vital Signs
5. Fundamentals of Physical Examination
6. NEW! Neurological Assessment of the Respiratory Care Patient
7. Clinical Laboratory Studies
8. Interpretation of Blood Gases
9. Pulmonary Function Testing
10. Clinical Application of the Chest Radiograph
11. Interpretation of the Electrocardiogram
12. Assessment of the Neonatal and Pediatric Patient
13. Assessment of the Older Patient
14. Respiratory Monitoring in the Intensive Care Unit
15. Assessment of Cardiac Output
16. Assessment of Hemodynamic Pressures
17. Flexible Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy
18. Nutritional Assessment of Patients with Respiratory Disease
19. Assessment of Sleep and Breathing
20. Assessment of the Home Care Patient
21. Documentation of the Patient Assessment
NEW! Procedure Checklists
Robert L. Wilkins, PhD, RRT, FAARC, Chair and Professor, Department of Respiratory Care, School of Allied Health Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, James R. Dexter, MD, FACP, FCCP, Associate Clinical Professor, Loma Linda Professor, Redland, CA and Al Heuer, PhD, MBA, RRT, RPFT, Associate Professor and Program Director, Respiratory Care Program, School of Health Related Professions, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey