Adult Health Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 6th Edition
Part of the popular LPN Threads series, this comprehensive text includes all of the vital medical-surgical and anatomy and physiology content you need to know. From an introduction to A&P to discussions of disorders by body system and beyond, Adult Health Nursing, 6th Edition, is an indispensable reference.
- Companion CD includes animations and audio clips depicting physiologic processes, physical assessment video clips, an English/Spanish glossary with definitions and audio pronunciations, an anatomy coloring book, and a fluid and electrolytes tutorial.
- Chapters begin with an overview of anatomy and physiology, providing a clear, basic understanding of A&P that LPN/LVNs need to know.
- The consistent, logical framework of the nursing process connects specific disorders to patient care.
- Safety Alert boxes help you implement The Joint Commission’s safety guidelines in all settings, with considerations for special populations.
- Nursing Diagnosis boxes, screened and highlighted in the text, include nursing diagnoses for specific disorders paired with the appropriate nursing interventions.
- Skills in a step-by-step format with full-color illustrations present clearly defined nursing actions with rationales for the skills and techniques you’ll use in practice.
- Medication tables are meticulously detailed and provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
- Nursing Care Plans, presented in a case-study format, emphasize patient goals and outcomes and end with Critical Thinking Questions to develop your clinical decision-making skills.
- An emphasis on communication features real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue and illustrates practical guidelines for effective communication.
- Patient Teaching boxes and Family Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
- Life Span Considerations for Older Adults boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- Home Care Considerations boxes discuss the issues facing patients and caregivers in the home health care setting.
- Health Promotion boxes provide key information on staying healthy and preventing disease, with tips on wellness from Healthy People 2010.
- Cultural Considerations boxes discuss how to address the health needs of a culturally diverse patient population when planning care.
- Complementary and Alternative Therapy boxes includes disorder-specific therapies, precautions, and possible side effects of non-traditional treatments.
- Enhanced focus on the NCLEX® Examination offers end-of-chapter Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections with key points for self-guided study and remediation and an extensive set of review questions for thorough self-assessment. Additional review questions on Evolve provide instant feedback with correct answer and rationale for even more test-taking practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize the latest research findings and highlight how they apply to LPN/LVN practice.
- Updated, vibrant full-color design highlights key information and enhances your understanding of important concepts.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
Chapter 2: Care of the Surgical Patient
Chapter 3: Care of the Patient with an Integumentary Disorder
Chapter 4: Care of the Patient with a Musculoskeletal Disorder
Chapter 5: Care of the Patient with a Gastrointestinal Disorder
Chapter 6: Care of the Patient with a Gallbladder, Liver, Biliary Tract, or Exocrine Pancreatic Disorder
Chapter 7: Care of the Patient with a Blood or Lymphatic Disorder
Chapter 8: Care of the Patient with a Cardiovascular or a Peripheral Vascular Disorder
Chapter 9: Care of the Patient with a Respiratory Disorder
Chapter 10: Care of the Patient with a Urinary Disorder
Chapter 11: Care of the Patient with an Endocrine Disorder
Chapter 12: Care of the Patient with a Reproductive Disorder
Chapter 13: Care of the Patient with a Visual or Auditory Disorder
Chapter 14: Care of the Patient with a Neurologic Disorder
Chapter 15: Care of the Patient with an Immune Disorder
Chapter 16: Care of the Patient with HIV/AIDS
Chapter 17: Care of the Patient with Cancer
Barbara Lauritsen Christensen, RN, MS, Formerly, Nurse Educator, Mid-Plains Community College, North Platte, NE and Elaine Oden Kockrow, RN, MS, Formerly, Nurse Educator, Mid-Plains Community College, North Platte, NE