Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 4th Edition
Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Physical and Biological Principles, 4th Edition offers comprehensive, well-illustrated coverage on this specialized subject at a level that does not require an extensive background in math and physics. It covers the fundamentals and principles of conventional MRI along with the latest fast imaging techniques and their applications. Beginning with an overview of the fundamentals of electricity and magnetism (Part 1), Parts 2 and 3 present an in-depth explanation of how MRI works. The latest imaging methods are presented in Parts 4 and 5, and the final section (Part 6) covers personnel and patient safety and administration issues. This book is perfect for student radiographers and practicing technologists preparing to take the MRI advanced certification exam offered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).
- Challenge questions at the end of each chapter help you assess your comprehension.
- Chapter outlines and objectives assist you in following the hierarchy of material in the text.
- Penguin boxes highlight key points in the book to help you retain the most important information and concepts in the text.
- NEW! Two MRI practice exams that mirror the test items in each ARRT category have been added to the end of the text to help you replicate the ARRT exam experience.
- NEW! Chapter on Partially Parallel Magnetic Resonance Imaging increases the comprehensiveness of the text.
- NEW! Updated key terms have been added to each chapter with an updated glossary defining each term.
Part I: Fundamentals 1. An Overview of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2. Electricity and Magnetism 3. Nuclear Magnetism 4. Equilibrium-Saturation
Part II: The Magnetic Resonance Image 5. Radiofrequency Pulse Sequences 6. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Tissue Parameters 7. Manipulating Magnetic Resonance Image Contrast 8. Fourier Transforms in Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Part III: The Imaging System 9. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Hardware 10. Primary Magnetic Resonance Imaging Magnets 11. Secondary Magnetic Resonance Imaging Magnets
Part IV: Image Formation 12. Digital Imaging 13. A Walk Through the Spatial Frequency Domain 14. The Musical Score 15. Magnetic Resonance Images
Part V: Pulse Sequences 16. Spin Echo Imaging 17. Chemical Shift and Magnetization Transfer 18. Steady State Gradient Echo Imaging 19. Hybrid Fast Imaging Techniques 20. Echo Planar Imaging
Part VI: Applications 21. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy 22. Partially Parallel Magnetic Resonance Imaging 23. Magnetic Resonance Angiography 24. Perfusion Imaging 25. Diffusion Imaging 26. Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Part VII: Safety 27. Contrast Agents and Magnetic Resonance Imaging 28. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Artifacts 29. Biological Effects of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 30. Managing a Magnetic Resonance Imaging System
Appendix A: The Bloch Equations Appendix B: Additional Resources Practice Examinations Answers to Challenge Questions Answers to Practice Examinations Glossary of Magnetic Resonance Imaging Terms Index
Stewart C. Bushong, ScD, FACR, FACMP, Professor of Radiologic Science, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX and Geoffrey Clarke, PhD, FACMP, Professor of Radiology
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas