Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics for the Veterinary Technician - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Page Count: 448
List Price: $59.95
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
In order to facilitate a better understanding of the "how's" and "why's" behind current drug therapies administered in the veterinary field, this text takes a comprehensive look at therapeutic agents in use today. Following a unique body systems organization method, this text clearly identifies and rationalizes the effects of veterinary medication treatments that will allow better anticipation of a patient's response to various remedies. A variety of review methods including self-tests, summary tables, and critical thinking questions aid the reader's understanding of material presented and allow for practical application in the veterinary world.
- Covers fundamental principles of pharmacology in a manner appropriate for both veterinary technicians and students.
- Provides strong introductory content on safety, terminology, pharmaceutical procedures, drug handling, dosage calculations, and pharmacokinetics.
- Systematically organized, using chapter outlines for ease of pinpointing desired material, key terms, and learning objectives to better focus readers' learning.
- Summarizes ideas presented using review questions to better facilitate comprehension, and integrated Pharm Facts boxes highlighting important points within the text.
- Contains the latest OSHA requirements of safe drug and chemical handling in professional environments.
- New and updated information is presented on all drug categories including new types, applications of existing drugs, and descriptions of previous methods employed.
- The original, modern design features using a full-color format, new artwork, and a visually engaging design.
- "Clinical Applications" vignettes included in the text emphasize concepts related to how problems have arisen with individual drugs or therapies, and what can be learned to avoid similar situations.
- Self-test questions have been added to the end of each chapter, to help readers prepare for national and state credentialing examinations, as well as classroom work.
1. Introduction to Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutic Applications
2. Pharmacy Procedures, Drug Handling, and Dosage Calculations
3. Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics: The Principles of How Drugs Work
4. Drugs Affecting the Gastrointestinal Tract
5. Drugs Affecting the Cardiovascular System
6. Drugs Affecting the Respiratory System
7. Drugs Affecting the Endocrine System
8. Drugs Affecting the Nervous System – Analgesics, anesthetics, and stimulants
9. Drugs Affecting the Nervous System – Anticonvulsants and Behavior Modifying Drugs
10. Anti-microbial Drugs
11. Disinfectants and Antiseptics
12. Anti-parasitic Drugs
13. Anti-inflammatory Drugs
Robert L. Bill, DVM, PhD, Associate Professor of Veterinary Pharmacology, Assistant to the Director of Veterinary Technology, Purdue University, School of Veterinary Medicine, West Lafayette, IN