Small Animal Surgery - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
The fourth edition of Small Animal Surgery serves as a one-stop resource for authoritative information on all aspects of small animal surgery. Coverage includes basic procedures such as spays, castrations, and declaws, as well as more advanced surgeries like craniotomy, ventral slots, and lung lobectomy. New contributors bring a fresh perspective and discuss the latest advances in key areas such as imaging modalities, regenerative medicine, minimally invasive surgery, and neurology. Access to a companion website provides a fully searchable version of the book, bi-monthly content updates, videos, aftercare instructions, case presentations, and a fracture planner.
- Well illustrated, step-by-step instructions for surgical techniques provide quick reference to practical how-to information in emergency and clinical situations.
- Coverage of cutting-edge imaging techniques, including radiographs, CT, MRI, and digital imaging, explores the most useful imaging modalities for demonstrating areas of surgical concern.
- Access to the continually updated companion website for the life of this edition includes:
- Bi-monthly content updates provide cutting-edge information on surgery developments
- Video clips of step-by-step surgical procedures
- Customizable and printable aftercare instructions
- Interactive Fracture Planner
- Case presentations
- Neurosurgery video clips
- References linked to PubMed
- Over 1500 full color images offer exceptionally clear representations of anatomy and currently accepted surgical techniques, including approaches and closure.
- Anesthesia Protocols offer easy access to recommendations for anesthetizing animals with particular diseases or disorders.
- Notes boxes call attention to specific data, offering at-a-glance access to key information.
- A new chapter on neurologic examination provides a solid foundation in neuroanatomy, electro-diagnostics, and basic MRI physics and principles, enabling you to perform a proper neurologic exam to detect problems in cats and dogs, some of which can be corrected via surgical repair.
- A new chapter on regenerative medicine provides the most current information on stem cell research.
- Differential diagnosis tables and boxes offer quick access to vital information, including how to avoid misdiagnosis of disorders that may mimic more commonly encountered surgical neurologic problems that are not actual disorders requiring surgical repair.
Part I: General Surgical Principles
- Principles of Surgical Asepsis
- Sterilization and Disinfection
- Surgical Facilities, Equipment, and Personnel and Care and Maintenance of the Surgical Environment
- Preoperative and Intraoperative Care of the Surgical Patient
- Preparation of the Operative Site
- Preparation of the Surgical Team
- Surgical Instrumentation
- Biomaterials, Suturing, and Suture Patterns
- Surgical Infections and Antibiotic Selection
- Nutritional Management of the Surgical Patient
- Fundamentals of Physical Rehabilitation
- Perioperative Multimodal Analgesic Therapy
- Principles of Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Therapy
- Advanced Imaging for Surgeons
- Surgery of the Integumentary System
- Surgery of the Eye
- Surgery of the Ear
- Surgery of the Abdominal Cavity
- Surgery of the Digestive System
- Surgery of the Liver
- Surgery of the Extrahepatic Biliary System
- Surgery of the Endocrine System
- Surgery of the Hemolymphatic System
- Surgery of the Kidney and Ureter
- Surgery of the Bladder and Urethra
- Surgery of the Reproductive and Genital Systems
- Surgery of the Cardiovascular System
- Surgery of the Upper Respiratory System
- Surgery of the Lower Respiratory System: Lungs and Thoracic Wall
- Surgery of the Lower Respiratory System: Pleural Cavity and Diaphragm
- Fundamentals of Orthopedic Surgery and Fracture Management
- Management of Specific Fractures
- Diseases of the Joints
- Management of Muscle and Tendon Injury or Disease
- Other Diseases of Bones and Joints
- Neurodiagnostic Overview for the Small Animal Surgeon
- Neurologic Examination and Relevant Neuroanatomy
- Surgery of the Brain
- Surgery of the Cervical Spine
- Surgery of the Thoracolumbar Spine
- Surgery of the Cauda Equina
- Nonsurgical Disorders of the Brain and Spine
- Peripheral Nervous System Disorders
Part II: Soft Tissue Surgery
Part III: Orthopedics
Part IV: Neurosurgery
Theresa Welch Fossum, DVM, MS, PhD, Dipl ACVS, Theresa Welch Fossum, DVM, MS, PhD, Diplomate ACVS, Vice President of Research and Strategic Initiatives, Professor of Veterinary Surgery, Midwestern University, Glendale, Arizona