Pharmacy Practice Today for the Pharmacy Technician,
Covering everything from certification exam review to key skills, Pharmacy Practice for Today’s Pharmacy Technician: Career Training for the Pharmacy Technician covers all of the knowledge needed by pharmacy technicians to provide exemplary patient care and build a successful career. It describes the role of the pharmacy technician in different practice settings, including the key tasks and skills set required to work in a community pharmacy, institutional pharmacy, or home health and long-term care/hospice care, then adds a road map taking you through certification, the job search, interviewing, and continuing education. Written by pharmacy technician educator and expert LiAnne Webster, this comprehensive text prepares you to succeed in this rapidly growing field.
- In-depth coverage of medication safety and error prevention includes recent recommendations and actions taken by the Institute of Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) and The Joint Commission.
- Content on intercultural competence addresses the changing demographics in our society.
- A student journal on the Evolve companion website makes it easy to submit journal entries relating to your coursework and during externship rotations.
- Review questions and critical thinking exercises are included at the end of each chapter.
- Tech Notes provide practical, on-the-job hints.
- Tech Alerts focus on warnings to watch for and avoiding common errors.
Unit I: An Introduction to Pharmacy Practice
- Historical Review of Pharmacy Practice
- Pharmacy Law and State Boards of Pharmacy: Examining Regulatory Standards that Govern Pharmacy Practice
- The Study of Bioethics in Pharmacy Technician Practice
- Pharmacy Professional Organizations
- Medical Terminology — Learning the Language of the Medication Order
- The Structure and Workflow Processes of the Community Pharmacy Practice
- Team Building and Professionalism in Pharmacy Practice
- Pharmacology — The Study of Drugs and Their Effects
- Introduction to Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms
- Pharmaceutical Calculations
- The Principles of Non-Sterile Pharmaceutical Compounding
- Pharmacy Billing and Claims Processing
- Cultural Competence: The Journey to Effective Communication in a culturally Diverse Society
- Infection Control
- Pharmacy Materials Management
- Medication Safety and Error Prevention
- The Structure & Organization of Institutional Pharmacy Practice
- Institutional Pharmacy Practice II: Drug Distribution Systems
- Aseptic Admixture & Compounding Sterile Preparations
- Green Pharmacy Practice
- Preparing for What Lies Ahead: The Technician Career Path Overview
- Identifying Quality Leadership and CQI Process Management in Pharmacy Practice
- Certification Review for Pharmacy Technicians
Unit II: Community Pharmacy Practice
Unit III: Institutional Pharmacy Practice
LiAnne C. Webster