Mosby's Essential Sciences for Therapeutic Massage - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
The fourth edition of this science essentials text for massage students features new full-color photos and illustrations along with an easy-to-read, conversational style that explains A&P concepts clearly. The book not only helps students learn the information they need to pass certification exams, but it also helps them see how scientific content applies to actual practice. This new edition also features a very enhanced Evolve resource package, along with new material on boosting your knowledge of nutrition and research — two subjects of growing interest in the massage therapy profession.
- Clinical reasoning activities included in the workbook section for each chapter promote problem-based learning.
- Format combining workbook and textbook features gives you immediate review tools in the form of matching exercises, short answer questions, fill-in-the-blank questions, drawing exercises, and critical thinking questions.
- Sections on pathologic conditions feature intervention protocols as well as indications and contraindications for therapeutic massage.
- Expert author Sandy Fritz provides credibility and authority to the information presented.
- Practical Applications boxes in each chapter enable you to see the way material applies to real practice and supports competency-based learning.
- Highly illustrated format features over 700 full-color line drawings and photos.
- Updated chapters and artwork have all been revised to reflect the most current industry information and reviewer feedback.
- MTBOK mapping for instructors on the Evolve website includes a mapping document that links the student objectives in the book to the components of the MTBOK.
- New muscle illustrations in Chapter 9 clearly show attachments and actions, as well as the relationships between different muscles in composite drawings.
- Coverage of nutrition (now in Chapter 12) includes information on the digestive process, basics of solid nutrition, how vitamins and minerals affect the body, and how proper nutrition affects the functions of all systems of the body.
- Enhanced pathology and indications/contraindications appendix includes more illustrations to increase your understanding of what you may encounter during practice.
- Improved biomechanics chapter activities that use photos instead of drawings help you better understand and apply gait assessment and muscle testing concepts.
Section I: Fundamentals 1. The Body as a Whole 2. Mechanisms of Health and Disease 3. Medical Terminology
Section II: Systems of Control 4. Nervous System Basics and the Central Nervous System 5. Peripheral Nervous System 6. Endocrine System
Section III: Support, Movement, and Biomechanics 7. Skeletal System 8. Joints 9. Muscles 10. Biomechanics Basics
Section IV: Remaining Body Systems 11. Integumentary, Cardiovascular, Lymphatic, and Immune Systems 12. Respiratory, Digestive, Urinary, and Reproductive Systems
Appendix A. Quick Reference Muscle Guide Appendix B. Pathology and Diseases and Indications/Contraindications for Massage Therapy Appendix C. Illustrated Orthopedic Tests
Glossary Works Consulted
Sandy Fritz, BS, MS, NCTMB, Director, Health Enrichment Center, School of Therapeutic Massage, Lapeer, Michigan, USA