Communication in Nursing, 7th Edition
Go beyond theory and start to master the essential communication skills and techniques you’ll need throughout all areas of nursing practice. Communication in Nursing, 7th Edition uses a personal and empathetic approach, along with unique artistic features, to help you develop a deeper understanding of the importance of communication. Comprehensive, step-by-step guidelines teach you how to establish patient relationships, and new QSEN-specific exercises help you learn to connect more effectively with patients, co-workers, and managers for better clinical outcomes. Real-life clinical scenarios, chapter exercises, and a new writing tutorial also offer endless opportunities to hone your skills.
- Moments of Connection boxes highlight the outcomes and benefits of successful communication.
- Wit & Wisdom boxes provide a humorous, personal approach to communication theory and application.
- Reflections On… boxes give you a specific task to help you integrate chapter material into the broader scope of nursing practice.
- Exercises throughout the book help you master chapter techniques and strengthen your communication skills.
- QSEN-specific exercises developed by a leading expert highlight how safety and improved care can result from better communication.
- UNIQUE! Online writing tutorial on Evolve helps you review and improve your technical writing skills.
- Case studies on Evolve give you practice using proper communication skills in a variety of real-life case scenarios.
- The latest information on compassion fatigue, language use, client preconceived ideas about health care, transcultural issues, technology, and the demands of electronic medical record systems provide you with the most up-to-date and relevant information needed to excel in today’s nursing field.
PART 1: Getting Started: Basic Communication Competence
1. Responsible, Assertive Care Communication in Nursing
2. The Client-Nurse Relationship: A Helping Relationship
3. Solving Problems Together
4. Understanding Each Other: Communication and Culture
5. Working Together in Groups
6. Electronic Communication
PART 2: Building Relationships
11. Self Disclosure
13. Asking Questions
14. Expressing Opinions
PART 3: Building Confidence
17. Requesting Support
18. Overcoming Evaluation Anxiety
22. Positive Self-Talk
PART 4: Meeting Challenges
24. Refusing Unreasonable Requests
25. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Distressed Clients and Colleagues
26. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Aggressive Clients and Colleagues
27. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Unpopular Clients
Julia Balzer Riley, RN, MN, AHN-BC, REACE, President, Constant Source Seminars, Ellenton, FL