Immunology and Serology in Laboratory Medicine - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Take your understanding to a whole new level with digital books on Pageburst! Easy-to-use, interactive features let you make highlights, share notes, export your notes and highlights, run instant topic searches, and so much more. Best of all, with Pageburst, you get flexible online, offline, and mobile access to all your digital books
The 5th edition of this classic resource once again sets the standard for comprehensive coverage of immunology. Building from a solid foundation of knowledge and skills, trusted author, teacher and former university program director, Mary Louise Turgeon takes your students from basic immunologic mechanisms and serologic concepts to the theory behind the procedures they’ll perform in the lab. Immunology & Serology in Laboratory Medicine is a go-to resource for everything from mastering automated techniques to understanding immunoassay instrumentation and disorders of infectious and immunologic origin. Packed with learning objectives, review questions, step-by-step procedures, and case studies this text prepares your students to succeed in today’s modern laboratory environment.
- Full-color, six-page insert of photomicrographs provide a better picture of what you’ll see in the laboratory.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter offer a measurable outcome you can achieve by completing the material.
- Chapter highlights at the end of each chapter provide a summary of the most important information covered in each chapter.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter are tied to learning objectives further enhance your understanding.
- Case studies challenge you to apply your knowledge and help strengthen your critical thinking skills.
- Glossary at the end of the book provides quick access to key terms and definitions.
- NEW! Expanded chapter on Vaccines as the importance of vaccines continues to become more evident.
- NEW! Updated chapter on Molecular Techniques incorporates the newest technology specific to immunology.
- NEW! Key terms at the beginning of each chapter help you learn the important vocabulary in immunology.
- NEW! Case studies with added multiple-choice questions in addition to critical thinking questions will help you apply your knowledge and develop critical-thinking skills.
Part I: Basic Immunologic Mechanisms
- An Overview of Immunology
- Antigens and Antibodies
- Cells and Cellular Activities of the Immune System: Granulocytes and Mononuclear Cells
- Cells and Cellular Activities of the Immune System: Lymphocytes and Plasma Cells
- Soluble Mediators of the Immune System
- Safety in the Immunology-Serology Laboratory
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control
- Basic Serologic Laboratory Techniques
- Point-of-Care Testing
- Agglutination Methods
- Electrophoresis Techniques
- Labeling Techniques in Immunoassay
- Automated Procedures
- Molecular Techniques
- The Immune Response in Infectious Disease
- A Primer on Vaccines
- Streptococcal Infections
- Vector-Borne Diseases
- Infectious Mononucleosis
- Viral Hepatitis
- Rubella Infection
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Hypersensitivity Reactions
- Immunoproliferative Disorders
- Autoimmune Disorders
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Solid Organ Transplantation
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Tumor Immunology
Part II: The Theory of Immunologic and Serologic Procedures
Part III: Immunologic Manifestations of Infectious Disease
Part IV: Immunologically and Serologically Related Disorders
Appendix A. Answers to Case Study Questions
Appendix B. Answers to Review Questions
Appendix C. Representative Diagnostic Assays in Medical Laboratory Immunology
Mary Louise Turgeon, EdD, MLS(ASCP)CM, Associate Professor (Adjunct), University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas; Clinical Laboratory Education Consultant, Mary L. Turgeon and Associates, Boston, Massachusetts; St. Petersburg, Florida