Basic & Applied Concepts of Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Using an easy-to-understand writing style, this text integrates immunohematology theory and application to provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to be successful in blood banking. Problem-solving exercises and case studies help you develop a solid understanding of all areas of blood banking.
- Learning objectives begin each chapter.
- Illustrated blood group boxes throughout chapter 6, Other Blood Group Systems, give the ISBT symbol, number, and the clinical significance of the antibodies at a glance.
- Margin notes and definitions in each chapter highlight important material and offer additional explanations.
- Chapter summaries recap the most important points of the chapter.
- Study questions at the end of each chapter provide an opportunity for review.
- Critical thinking exercises with case studies help you apply what you have learned in the chapter.
- UPDATED! Information and photos on automation include equipment actually used in the lab.
- Flow charts showing antibody detection and identification help you detect and identify antibodies.
- Advanced topics on Transplantation and Cellular Therapy, the HLA System, Molecular Techniques and Applications, Automation, Electronic Crossmatching, and Therapeutic Apheresis make the text relevant for 4-year MLS programs.
Part I: Foundations: Basic Sciences and Reagents
- Immunology: Basic Principles and Applications in the Blood Bank
- Blood Banking Reagents
- Genetic Principles in Blood Banking
- ABO and H Blood Group Systems and Secretor Status
- Rh Blood Group System
- Other Blood Group Systems
- Antibody Detection and Identification
- Compatibility Testing
- Blood Bank Automation for Transfusion Services
- Adverse Complications of Transfusions
- Hemolytic Disease of the Fetus and Newborn
- Donor Selection and Phlebotomy
- Testing of Donor Blood
- Blood Component Preparation and Therapy
- Transfusion Therapy in Selected Patients
- Quality Assurance and Regulation in the Blood Bank and Safety
Part II: Overview of the Major Blood Groups
Part III: Essentials of Pretransfusion Testing
Part IV: Clinical Considerations in Immunohematology
Part V: Blood Collection and Testing
Part VI: Blood Component Preparation and Transfusion Therapy
Part VII: Quality and Safety Issues
Appendix A Answers to Study Questions
Kathy D. Blaney, MS, BB(ASCP)SBB, CHT(ABHI), Tissue Typing Laboratory, Florida Hospital; OneBlood, Inc., Orlando, Florida and Paula R. Howard, MS, MPH, MT(ASCP)SBB, OneBlood, Inc., Lauderhill, Florida