Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Covering common pulmonary function tests and techniques, Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing, 10th Edition is not only an authoritative, on-the-job reference, but an excellent resource for preparing for the CPFT (certified pulmonary function technologist) and RPFT (registered pulmonary function technologist) specialty credentialing examinations. It includes information on pathophysiology, equipment, and quality assurance, so you can develop the testing skills you need to find and assess lung abnormalities and conditions including asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and cystic fibrosis. Written by Carl Mottram, RRT, RPFT, FAARC, one of the most respected experts in pulmonary function procedures, this text helps you get accurate test results every time.
- Case studies provide problem-solving challenges for common clinical cases, including each case history, PFT testing results, a technologist’s comments, and questions and answers.
- PFT Tips boxes highlight and reinforce the most important Pulmonary Function Testing information in every chapter.
- Entry- and Advanced-Level objectives follow the content guidelines suggested by the CPFT and RPFT exam matrices from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- Concise chapter outlines introduce the topics to be covered.
- Key terms are listed at the beginning of each chapter, bolded in the text, and defined in an expanded glossary.
- New Bronchoprovocation chapter features important information on methacholine, histamine, mannitol, exercise challenges, and eucapnic voluntary hyperventilation.
- New chapter on reference equations simplifies common reference equations and includes normal and abnormal values encountered in the clinical setting.
- New How To boxes provide step-by-step guidelines to performing pulmonary function tests, taking the guesswork out of completing accurate and result-producing tests.
- New NBRC-CPFT mapping prepares you for the certified pulmonary function technologist credentialing examination, correlating content to test items in the NBRC-CPFT testing matrix.
- New Clinical Scenario lecture slides provide in-depth case analysis with figures, charts, lab values, and documented research.
- New author Carl Mottram, a leading respiratory care expert who contributed to this book’s previous two editions, is the Technical Director of the Pulmonary Function Labs and Rehabilitation at the Mayo Clinic and is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and a highly sought-after lecturer at national and international symposiums and conferences.
1. Indications for Pulmonary Function Testing
3. Diffusing Capacity Tests
4. Lung Volumes, Airway Resistance and Gas Distribution Tests
5. Ventilation and Ventilatory Control Tests
6. Blood Gases and Related Tests
7. Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing
8. Pediatric Pulmonary Function Tests
10. Specialized Test Regimens
11. Pulmonary Function Test Equipment
12. Quality Systems in the Pulmonary Function Laboratory
13. Reference Values & Pulmonary Function Interpretation
Appendix A: Answers to Self-Assessment
Carl Mottram, BA, RRT, RPFT, FAARC, Technical Director Pulmonary Function Labs and Rehabilitation Associate Professor of Medicine Mayo Clinic College of Medicine Rochester, Minnesota