Introduction to Orthotics, 4th Edition
Covering the theory, design, and fabrication of orthopedic devices, Introduction to Orthotics, 4th Edition (formerly Introduction to Splinting, 3rd Edition) helps students develop the skills they need to choose and fit effective orthoses for patients with hand injuries and functional deficits. It emphasizes upper extremity splinting, with additional coverage of lower extremity orthotics and upper extremity prosthetics, and offers case studies promoting clinical reasoning and problem solving. This edition includes new chapters on orthotics of the shoulder and orthotic systems, plus online videos demonstrating fabrication and fitting techniques. Written by occupational therapy educators, this textbook/workbook is ideal for use in the classroom and as a practical resource in the clinical setting.
- How-To videos on the Evolve companion website let you watch the construction of orthotics again and again to increase your proficiency.
- Review questions and self-quizzes reinforce your comprehension of the material.
- Case studies in each chapter show how concepts relate to real-life clinical practice.
- Self-evaluation forms allow you to analyze your strengths and weaknesses related to new orthotic intervention techniques.
- Laboratory exercises test your clinical reasoning and technical skills.
- High-quality photos and line drawings illustrate key concepts and techniques.
- Combined textbook/workbook format makes it easier to develop fundamental skills in the theory, design, and fabrication of orthoses,
- Spiral binding lets the book lay flat when opened for convenient use while on the job.
- NEW! Fabrication processes appear in special boxes to allow for quick reference.
- NEW! Fabrication processes, forms, and grading sheets are included on the Evolve companion website, allowing you to create a personalized study guide.
- UPDATED content includes new case studies, references, evidence-based research tables, and more on the ‘science’ of orthotic intervention.
- NEW! Additional learning exercises show how to apply theory to practice.
- NEW! More integration of patient safety addresses this important aspect of patient care.
Unit One: Foundations of Orthotic Intervention 1. Foundations of Orthotics 2. Occupation-Based Orthotic Intervention 3. Orthotic Processes, Tools & Techniques 4. Anatomic and Biomechanical Principles Related to Orthotic Provision 5. Clinical Examination and Implications for Orthotic Intervention 6. Clinical Reasoning for Orthotic Fabrication
Unit Two: Orthotic Intervention for Conditions and Populations 7. Orthoses Acting on the Wrist 8. Orthoses Acting on the Thumb 9. Orthoses Acting on the Hand 10. Orthoses Acting on the Elbow 11. Orthoses Acting on the Fingers 12. Orthotic Intervention for Mobilization 13. Orthotic Intervention for Nerve Injuries 14. Orthotic Intervention for Spasticity 15. Orthotic Intervention for Older Adults 16. Orthotic Intervention for the Pediatric Population
Unit Three: Topics Related to Orthotic Intervention 17. Lower Extremity Orthoses 18. Upper Extremity Prosthetics 19. Ethical Issues Related to Orthotic Provision
Glossary Appendix A: Web Resources and Vendors Appendix B: Answers to Quizzes, Laboratory Exercises, and Case Studies
Brenda M. Coppard, PhD, OTR/L, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Occupational Therapy, Creighton University, School of Pharmacy and Health Professions, Omaha, NE, USA and Helene Lohman, MA, OTD, OTR/L, Associate Professor, Department of Occupational Therapy, Creighton University, School of Pharmacy and Health Professions, Omaha, NE, USA