Fundamentals of Hand Therapy, 2nd Edition
Help your students learn to make sound therapy decisions for the upper extremities with Fundamentals of Hand Therapy, 2nd Edition. This illustrated text features an easy-to-use format that includes all the tips and guidelines your students will need to excel when in practice. Coverage includes hand anatomy, the evaluation process, diagnosis-specific information, treatment guidelines, and case studies to help students think critically about clients’ individual needs. This new edition also features additional chapters on pain management and wound care, plus added content on splinting.
- Clinical Pearls and Precautions highlight relevant information learned by the experienced author and contributors that you can apply to clinical practice.
- Case examples included in the diagnoses chapters in Part Three demonstrate the use of clinical reasoning and a humanistic approach in treating the client.
- Diagnosis-specific information in the final section of the book is well-organized to give you quick access to the information you need.
- Special features sections such as Questions to Discuss with the Physician, What to Say to Clients, Tips from the Field, and more help readers find their own clinical voices.
- Online sample exercises give you a pool to pull from during professional practice.
- NEW! Chapters on yoga and pilates provide guidance into new ways to treat upper extremity problems.
- NEW! Chapter on wound care gives you a thorough foundation on how wounds impact therapeutic outcomes.
- NEW! Chapter on orthotics has been added to cover basic splinting patterns.
- NEW! Online resources help assess your understanding and retention of the material.
Part One: Fundamentals 1. Fundamentals: Hand Therapy Concepts and Treatment Techniques 2. Functional Anatomy 3. Edema Reduction Techniques: A Biologic Rationale for Selection 4. Tissue-Specific Exercises for the Upper Extremity 5. Evaluation of the Hand and Upper Extremity 6. Clinical Reasoning and Problem Solving to Prevent Pitfalls in Hand Injuries 7. Orthotics: Essential Concepts 8. Assessment of Functional Outcomes 9. Hand Coordination 10. Roles of Therapy Assistants in Hand Therapy 11. Some Thoughts on Professionalism
Part Two: Pain and Integrative Strategies 12. Perspectives on Pain 13. Fundamentals of Client-Therapist Rapport 14. How Hand Therapists' Words Affect the Therapeutic Relationship 15. Clients with Functional Somatic Syndromes or Challenging Behavior 16. Narratives in Hand Therapy 17. Personality Type and Patient Education in Hand Therapy 18. Using Dance in Hand Therapy 19. Applying Pilates Concepts to Hand Therapy 20. Yoga Therapeutics: A Biopsychosocial Approach
Part Three: Clinical Reasoning and Treatment Guidelines for Common Diagnoses of the Upper Extremity 21. Wound Care 22. Shoulder Diagnoses 23. Elbow Diagnoses 24. Peripheral Nerve Problems 25. Wrist Fractures 26. Wrist Instabilities 27. Hand Fractures 28. Elbow, Wrist, and Hand Tendinopathies 29. Finger Sprains and Deformities 30. Flexor Tendon Injury 31. Extensor Tendon Injury 32. Tendon Transfers 33. Arthritis 34. Burns 35. Infections 36. Ganglions and Tumors of the Hand and Wrist 37. Traumatic Hand Injury Involving Multiple Structures 38. Preventing and Treating Stiffness 39. Dupuytren’s Disease 40. The Neurological Hand 41. Hand Therapy for Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy Glossary
Cynthia Cooper, MFA, MA, OTR/L, CHT, Owner of Cooper Hand Therapy, Scottsdale, AZ, USA