Pharmacology and Drug Administration for Imaging Technologists - Elsevier Digital Book (Retail Access Card), 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and
you will not be charged until the item ships.
This text is a complete resource for all the imaging technologies, not just plain film radiography. It provides introductory material on pharmacological nomenclature, drug classifications, pharmacokinetics, and drugs used in imaging. It also offers comprehensive coverage of diagnostic contrast agents, along with drug administration procedures, emergency responses to drug reactions, and legal and ethical aspects of medication administration.
Get the instant access version
- Objectives and Key Terms open each chapter.
- Learning exercises include true/false, fill-in-the-blank, multiple-choice, and short-answer questions at the end of each chapter, with answers at the end of the book.
- Did You Know? boxes offer interesting tidbits of historical or current pharmacology information, connecting the book's drug content to everyday situations.
- Clinical Alert icons point out possible adverse reactions and toxic effects.
- Discussion of pharmacodynamics and drug classifications focuses on radiopaque contrast media used in imaging procedures, using clearly written text and useful tables.
- Pharmacokinetics coverage describes how drugs are absorbed, metabolized, distributed, and eliminated.
- Complete coverage of emergency procedures in response to adverse reactions to contrast media includes crash cart procedures and drugs used to treat cardiac and/or respiratory arrest and how to administer them appropriately.
- Updates on all contrast agents.
- New information on the use of contrast agents in ultrasound.
- New Drug Classifications chapter.
- New chapter on drug-related emergencies includes case studies.
- Evolve Resources for instructors include a 220-question test bank and an electronic image collection.
1 The Role of the Imaging Professional
Ethical and Legal Implications
Standard of Care
2 Principles of Pharmacology
The Legal Prescription
Herbal Products NEW!
3 Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
Mechanism of Action
5 Drug Classifications NEW!
Anticoagulant, Antiplatelet, Thrombolytic Medications
Central Nervous System Medications
6 Classification, Chemistry, and Pharmacology of Contrast Agents
Radiopaque Contrast Media
Pharmacology of Iodinated ROCM
Osmolality, Osmolarity, Osmotic Activity
Intravascular Radiopaque Contrast Media
Enteral Radiopaque Contrast Media
Paramagnetic Agents NEW!
Ultrasound Microbubble Agents NEW!
7 Pharmacodynamics of Radiopaque Contrast Media
Iodinated Radiopaque Contrast Media
General Adverse Reactions
Paramagnetic Agent Adverse Reactions NEW!
Ultrasound Microbubble Agent Adverse Reactions NEW!
8 Routes of Drug Administration
Sublingual and Buccal Routes
Intravenous Injection Sites NEW!
Intravenous Equipment NEW!
Intravenous Procedure NEW!
Chest Tubes and Lines NEW!
General Administration Guidelines
9 Infection Prevention and Control
Infections Prevention and Control NEW!
Hand Washing and Gloves NEW!
Good Housekeeping NEW!
Bloodborne Virus Transmission to Healthcare Personnel NEW!
10 Anxiety, Phobia and Conscious Sedation NEW!
Agents Used for Conscious Sedation
11 Pharmacology of Emergency Medications
Emergency Medications for Cardiorespiratory Arrest
Other Cardiac Emergency Medications
Steven C. Jensen, PhD, RT(R), Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL and Michael P. Peppers, PharmD, RPh, Clinical Pharmacist, Des Peres Hospital; Per Diem Pharmacist, Jefferson Memorial Hospital; Per Diem Pharmacist, St. Alexius Hospital; Per Diem Pharmacist, Option Care, St.Louis, MO, USA