Phipps' Medical-Surgical Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
- Solid presentation of pathophysiology and medical, surgical, and nursing management.
- More than 70 Patient/Family Teaching boxes underscore the text's comprehensive treatment approach.
- Content on collaborative management highlights the necessity of cooperation and teamwork in patient care.
- Health promotion and prevention concepts are integrated throughout to stress the importance of ongoing care.
- More than 150 Guidelines for Safe Practice boxes give step-by-step instructions for providing safe, effective care.
- Common Medications tables outline nursing considerations and information on key drug groups.
- Clinical Manifestations boxes summarize important indications related to specific conditions.
- Gerontologic Assessment boxes and Gerontologic Considerations sections remind students of unique considerations in the care of older adults.
- Risk Factors boxes alert the reader to characteristics of disease etiology to consider when assessing and caring for patients.
- Research boxes show how significant research studies apply to daily nursing practice.
- Healthy People 2010 boxes identify national health objectives relevant to the topic of discussion.
- Future Watch boxes alert readers to topics on the horizon, such as developments in genetics and in gender-based medicine.
- Complementary & Alternative Therapies boxes discuss the increasing popularity and significance of complementary and alternative therapies in relation to traditional treatments.
- Nursing Care Plans cover more than 30 patient situations, illustrating the use of NANDA diagnoses, outcome criteria, NIC priority interventions, NOC suggested outcomes, and specific nursing interventions with rationales.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes identify the Topic Question, Evidence Base, Findings, and Conclusions of research studies pertinent to current medical and nursing practice.
- The concept of community-based care is introduced in a new chapter and incorporated into other chapters as appropriate.
- Nursing Management sections have been reorganized to clarify the correlation among nursing diagnoses, appropriate patient outcomes, and associated interventions.
- Preparing for Practice boxes in selected chapters are linked to a new interactive clinical exercise on the Companion CD, giving students the opportunity to apply critical thinking skills and clinical judgment in caring for patients within a simulated hospital setting.
- The text includes new and expanded chapters related to genetics and disease, emerging infectious diseases and bioterrorism, palliative care, and rehabilitation.
- Are You Ready? boxes test students' mastery of content just covered, reinforcing key concepts and building confidence for taking the NCLEX examination.
- Ethical Alert boxes discuss timely ethical issues nurses face in clinical practice, such as genetic testing and therapy and forced immunization.
- Legal Alert boxes present critical legal considerations, including protocol for medical and nursing interventions, patient consent for treatment or testing, and the duty to warn.
- Key terms with page-number references are listed at the beginning of each chapter and set in boldface type within the text.
UNIT 1 MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING TODAY
1. Scope of Medical-Surgical Nursing
2. The Aging Population
3. Healthy Lifestyles
4. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
5. Genetics and Disease
6. Infectious Diseases and Bioterrorism
7. Rehabilitation and Chronic Illness
8. Palliative and End-of-Life Care
UNIT 2 CARE SETTINGS
9. Emergency Care
10. Critical Care
11. Community-Based Care
12. Long-Term Care
UNIT 3 PERIOPERATIVE NURSING
13. Preoperative Nursing
14. Intraoperative Nursing
15. Postoperative Nursing
UNIT 4 COMMON PROBLEMS
17. Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalance
18. Acid-Base Imbalance
UNIT 5 IMMUNOLOGIC PROBLEMS
20. Assessment of the Immune System
21. Immunologic Problems
22. HIV Infection and AIDS
UNIT 6 RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS
24. Assessment of the Respiratory System
25. Upper Airway Problems
26. Lower Airway Problems
27. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
UNIT 7 CARDIOVASCULAR PROBLEMS
28. Assessment of the Cardiovascular System
29. Coronary Artery Disease and Dysrhythmias
30. Heart Failure, Valvular, and Inflammatory Problems of the Heart
31. Vascular Problems
UNIT 8 HEMATOLOGIC PROBLEMS
32. Assessment of the Hematologic System
33. Hematologic Problems
UNIT 9 RENAL PROBLEMS
34. Assessment of the Renal System
35. Kidney and Urinary Tract Problems
36. Kidney Failure
UNIT 10 ENDOCRINE PROBLEMS
37. Assessment of the Endocrine System
38. Pituitary, Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Adrenal Gland Problems
39. Diabetes Mellitus and Hypoglycemia
UNIT 11 GASTROINTESTINAL PROBLEMS
40. Assessment of the Gastrointestinal System
41. Mouth and Esophagus Problems
42. Stomach and Duodenum Problems
43. Intestinal Problems
44. Gallbladder and Exocrine Pancreatic Problems
UNIT 12 HEPATIC PROBLEMS
45. Assessment of the Hepatic Problems
46. Hepatic Problems
UNIT 13 NEUROLOGIC PROBLEMS
47. Assessment of the Nervous System
48. Traumatic and Neoplastic Problems of the Brain
49. Vascular and Degenerative Problems of the Brain
50. Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nerve Problems
UNIT 14 MUSCULOSKELETAL PROBLEMS
51. Assessment of the Musculoskeletal Problems
52. Trauma to the Musculoskeletal System
53. Degenerative Disorders
54. Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis
UNIT 15 REPRODUCTIVE PROBLEMS
55. Assessment of the Reproductive System
56. Female Reproductive Problems
57. Male Reproductive Problems
58. Problems of the Breast
59. Sexually Transmitted Diseases
UNIT 16 EYE PROBLEMS
60. Assessment of the Visual System
61. Problems of the Eye
UNIT 17 EAR PROBLEMS
62. Assessment of the Auditory System
63. Problems of the Ear
UNIT 18 SKIN PROBLEMS
64. Assessment of the Skin
65. Problems of the Skin
Frances Donovan Monahan, PhD, RN, ANEF, Consultant in Nursing Education, Vero Beach, FL, USA, Judith K. Sands, EdD, RN, Associate Professor, School of Nursing, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA, Marianne Neighbors, EdD, RN, Professor, Eleanor Mann School of Nursing; Co-Director, Wally Cordes Teaching and Faculty Support Center, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, USA, Jane F. Marek, MSN, RN, APRN, BC, Instructor, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA and Carol J. Green-Nigro, PhD, RN, Professor of Nursing, Johnson County Community College, Overland Park, KS, USA