Cook and Hussey's Assistive Technologies - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Page Count: 592
List Price: $107.00
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and you will not be charged until the item ships.
Master the assistive strategies you need to make confident clinical decisions and help improve the quality of life for people with disabilities with the latest edition of this comprehensive text. Based on the Human Activity Assistive Technology (HAAT) model developed by the authors, the book provides detailed coverage of the broad range of devices, services, and practices that comprise assistive technology and focuses on the relationship between the human user and the assisted activity within specific contexts. This new edition has been expanded and updated, and features new multimedia components that further demonstrate how to apply the concepts you've learned to real-world practice.
- Focus on clinical application guides you in applying concepts to real-world situations.
- Human Activity Assistive Technology (HAAT) framework demonstrates assistive technology within common, everyday contexts for more relevant application.
- Review questions and chapter summaries in each chapter help you assess your understanding and identify areas where more study is needed.
- Assistive Technology for Cognitive Augmentation chapter gives you a foundation in the growing use of assistive technology to enhance human cognitive processes.
- Technologies that Aid Transportation familiarizes you with the many options of transportation assistance available and helps you determine which are right for your clients.
- Separate chapters on sensory aid for visual and auditory impairment provide additional strategies in these key assistive areas.
- Bound-in companion CD-ROM features videos of assessment and device use that helps you visualize procedures and reinforce your clinical application skills.
- Evolve resources test your understanding of terms and concepts and link you to supplemental sources for further research.
- Additional case studies throughout the text prepare you for practice with realistic client scenarios.
- Expanded evidence-based content supports concepts with real-world research data.
- Additional photographs, illustrations, tables, and boxes provide clear visual references and quick access to important information.
Part 1: Introduction and Framework
1. Introduction and Overview
2. A Framework for Assistive Technologies
3. The Disabled Human User of Assistive Technologies
Part 2: Service Delivery in Assistive Technologies
4. Delivering Assistive Technology Services to the Customer
5. Funding Assistive Technology Services and Systems
Part 3: The Activities: General Purpose Assistive Technologies
6. Seating Systems as Extrinsic Enablers for Assistive Technologies
7. The Human-Assistive Technology Interface
8. Sensory Aids for Persons with Visual Impairment
9. Sensory Aids for Persons with Auditory Impairment
Part 4: The Activities: Performance Areas
10. Assistive Technology for Cognitive Augmentation
11. Augmentative and Alternative Communication Systems
12. Technologies that Enable Mobility
13. Technologies that Enable Transportation
14. Technologies that Aid Manipulation and Control of the Environment
Part 5: The Contexts for Assistive Technology Applications
15. Assistive Technologies in the Context of the Classroom
16. Assistive Technologies in the Context of Work
Albert M. Cook, PhD, PE (ret.), Professor Emeritus
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
University of Alberta
Canada and Janice Miller Polgar, BScOT, PhD, FCAOT, Professor Emerita, School of Occupational Therapy, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada