Prenatal Massage - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),
- Comprehensive coverage guides you through all aspects of prenatal massage in a single book, addressing fundamentals, techniques, preparation, and prevention of potential problems.
- Many useful techniques are described in detail for prenatal through postpartum massage with step-by-step instructions so you can begin using these techniques with your clients immediately.
- Numerous boxes throughout the text highlight key information and provide clinical tips. Touch Points and In My Experience boxes share the author's personal observations about the chapter material with real-life examples from her years in practice.
- Over 350 detailed, full-color illustrations and photographs illuminate procedures, concepts, and techniques.
- Clear writing and organization addresses content in four main units: pregnancy massage, labor massage, postpartum massage, and marketing strategies.
- A companion DVD packaged with the book contains 45 minutes of video demonstrating different massage techniques presented in the book.
- DVD icons within the text encourage you to watch relevant video footage at appropriate points.
- Learning objectives and key terms at the beginning of each chapter clearly identify the concepts you should focus on in the chapter.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter enable you to assess your understanding and review important information presented in the book.
- A glossary of all key terms and definitions makes it easy to quickly look up a new term or to refresh your memory.
Unit One: Pregnancy Massage
1. The Benefits of Prenatal Massage
2. Dispelling the Myths of Prenatal Massage
3. General Prenatal Massage Guidelines
4. Emotional and Psychological Effects of Pregnancy
5. Physiology of Pregnancy
6. Contraindications and Precautions of Prenatal Massage
7. Treating High Risk and Bedridden Pregnancies
8. Preconception Support
9. Massage During the First Trimester and Fetal Development
10. Massage During Second Trimester and Fetal Development
11. Massage During Third Trimester and Fetal Development
12. Massage for Labor Preparation
13. Sitting Massage
14. Massage for Common Discomforts of Pregnancy
Unit Two: Labor Massage
16. Physiology of Labor
17. Stimulating Labor
18. Benefits of Touch During Labor
19. Labor Support Massage
Unit Three: Postpartum Massage
20. Postpartum Complications
21. Immediate Postpartum Physiology and Treatment Goals
22. Puerperium Physiology and Treatment Goals
23. Extended Postpartum Physiology and Treatment Goals
Unit Four: Marketing Strategies
24. Marketing Strategies
Glossary of Terms
Elaine Stillerman, LMT