Pulmonary Rehabilitation - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and
you will not be charged until the item ships.
This authoritative text is written by leaders in pulmonary rehabilitation. It is clearly written, logically organized, well referenced, and emphasizes evidence-based practice and a contemporary multidisciplinary approach. Offering unrivaled depth, this edition updates coverage of the benefits of pulmonary rehabilitation, therapeutic interventions, smoking cessation, exercise training, and much more as well as important research such as the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) report. This text prepares students for the Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) exam and the written registry and clinical simulations portions of the Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) exams.
Get the instant access version
- Information on existing techniques and procedures is expanded and updated in chapters on lung transplantation, functional performance assessment and training, and the management of pulmonary rehabilitation services.
- Illustrations, photographs, tables, and boxes address new and important information, reinforcing and simplifying the material.
- A hard cover and portable size offer durability and convenience.
- Reader-friendly features in each chapter include an outline, professional skills objectives, and a summary, allowing easy access to content and highlighting important concepts and ideas.
- New chapters covering new advances and discoveries in respiratory care:
- Systemic Effects of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorders
- Complementary Alternative Medicine for Patients with Chronic Lung Disease
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
- Management of and Reimbursement for Pulmonary Rehabilitation Services
- Exercise and Pulmonary Hypertension
- New and revised illustrations and photographs.
- Expanded coverage of patients with respiratory diseases other than COPD as well as pediatric pulmonary patients.
- New and revised pedagogy including chapter outlines and updated objectives
- Enhanced chapters
- Addresses the latest research and reports including The Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) report recommending pulmonary rehabilitation.
I. Historical Perspective of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
1. Pulmonary Rehabilitation: History and Definition
II. Basic Concepts of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
2. Selection and Assessment of the Chronic Respiratory Disease Patient for Pulmonary Rehabilitation
3. Pathophysiology of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
4. Systemic Effects of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease NEW!
5. Dyspnea: Assessment and Management
6. Education in Pulmonary Rehabiliation
III. Therapeutic Intervention in Pulmonary Rehabilitation
7. Pharmacological Therapy for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
8. Aerosol Therapy
9. Therapeutic Oxygen
10. Exercise in the Rehabilitation of Patients with Respiratory Disease
11. Inspiratory Muscle Training
12. Physical and Respiratory Therapy for the Medical and Surgical Patient
13. Occupational Therapy to Promote Function and Health-Related Quality of Life
14. Nutritional Assessment and Support
15. Complementary Alternative Medicine for Patients with Chronic Lung Disease NEW!
16. Medical Management of Tobacco Dependence: Concepts and Treatment
17. Behavioral Medicine in Pulmonary Rehabilitation: Psychological, Cognitive, and Social Factors
18. Sexuality in the Pulmonary Patient
19. Preventative Strategies for the Patient with Chronic Lung Disease
IV. Special Considerations in Pulmonary Rehabilitation
20. Adherence in the Patient with Pulmonary Disease
21. Outcomes Assessment
22. Home Mechanical Ventilation
23. Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Lung Transplantation
24. Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Lung Volume Reduction Surgery NEW!
25. Ethical and End-of-Life Issues for the Care of Patients with Advanced Lung Disease
26. Social and Recreational Support of the Pulmonary Patient
27. Sleep Disorders in Pulmonary Patients
28. The Role of Home Care
29. Travel for the Patient with Respiratory Disease
30. Management of and Reimbursement for Pulmonary Rehabilitation Services NEW!
V. Pulmonary Rehabilitation for Miscellaneous Disorders
31. Rehabilitation in Patients with Diseases other than Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
32. Exercise and Pulmonary Hypertension NEW!
33. Rehabilitation for the Pediatric Patient with Pulmonary Disease
VI. Benefits and the Future of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
34. Benefits and the Future of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
John E. Hodgkin, MD, Medical Director, Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program, Redbud Community Hospital, Clearlake, CA; Medical Director, Smoke-Free Life Program, St. Helena Center for Health, St. Helena, CA, Bartolome R. Celli, MD, Chief, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center Professor of Medicine, Tufts University, Boston, MA and Gerilynn A. Connors, BS, RRT, RCP, Clinical Manager, Pulmomary Rehabilitation, Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, VA