Handbook of Veterinary Anesthesia - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card)-,4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Page Count: 656
List Price: $88.95
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and you will not be charged until the item ships.
Handbook of Veterinary Anesthesia, 4th Edition is a convenient, complete, and practical resource for administering safe and effective anesthesia to small and large animals, including exotic pets. Long valued by students and practitioners alike, this handbook features all the practical and applied aspects of veterinary anesthesia, including patient evaluation, preanesthetic medications, local anesthesia and anesthetic techniques, and more. The book describes drugs used perioperatively and their clinical applications in detail and pays special attention to complementary and integrative approaches to pain management.
- Key points and special considerations are now called out in boxes to highlight the most important and critical information for immediate access.
- Comprehensive yet concise quick reference offers on-the-go, indispensable advice for anesthetic situations.
- Dogs and cats each have their own chapter, and the special needs and considerations of each species are expanded for more comprehensive coverage.
- Old and outdated drugs have been eliminated, so the focus is not on the history of veterinary anesthesia but on important, current concepts and techniques.
- Completely updated drug information and new pain management techniques.
- A new chapter discusses the unique anesthetic considerations in cats and their clinical applications.
- The latest information on local anesthesia drugs and techniques.
- Expanded coverage of post-anesthetic care, monitoring, and analgesic considerations.
- Covers anesthetic protocols for common procedures in each species.
- Includes new coverage of the use of constant rate infusion perioperatively.
- Expanded coverage of euthanasia includes the most current AVMA guidelines for euthanasia techniques.
1. Introduction to Anesthesia
2. Patient Evaluation and Preparation
3. Drugs Used for Preanesthetic Medication
4. Local Anesthetic Drugs and Techniques
5. Local Anesthesia in Cattle, Sheep, Goats, and Pigs
6. Local Anesthesia in Horses
7. Local Anesthesia in Dogs and Cats
8. Specific Intravenous Anesthetic Drugs
9. Inhalation Anesthesia
10. Pharmacology of Inhalation Anesthetic Drugs
11. Neuromuscular Blocking Drugs
12. Anesthetic Toxicity, Oxygen Toxicity, and Drug Interactions
13. Anesthetic Machines and Breathing Systems
14. Ventilation and Mechanical Assist Devices
15. Patient Monitoring During Anesthesia
16. Acid-Base Balance and Blood Gases
18. Acupuncture Analgesia
19. Anesthetic Procedures and Techniques in Dogs
20. Anesthetic Procedures and Techniques in Cats
21. Anesthetic Procedures and Techniques in Horses
22. Anesthetic Procedures and Techniques in Ruminants
23. Anesthetic Procedures and Techniques in Pigs
24. Anesthetic for Cesarean Section
25. Anesthetic Procedure in Exotic Animals
26. Fluid Administration during Anesthesia
28. Respiratory Emergencies
29. Cardiac Emergencies
Appendix I. Partial Listing of Commonly Used Drugs, Anesthetic and Monitoring Equipment, and Their Manufactures
Appendix II. Physical Principles of Anesthesia
Appendix III. Drug Schedules
Appendix IV. Guiding Principles for Research Involving Animals and Human Beings
William W. Muir, DVM, PhD, Regional Director, American Academy of Pain Management, Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Consulting Services, Columbus, OH and John A. E. Hubbell, DVM, MS, DACVA
DVM, MS,, Professor of Anesthesia, Department of Veterinary Clinical Science, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Professor, Veterinary Clinical Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA