Handbook of Veterinary Pain Management - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
- User-friendly format helps you quickly and easily find essential pain management information.
- Helpful boxes and tables provide at-a-glance access to pharmacologic protocols and clinical applications, including dosages, indications, contraindications, and side effects.
- Complementary and alternative treatment strategies are included throughout to assist you in using the latest non-pharmacological pain interventions.
- Case studies clearly illustrate the practical applications of key concepts in the clinical setting and help you sharpen your pain assessment and management skills.
- New contributors — many of the most respected experts in the field — share their insights and experiences to bring you the most current thinking in this ever-changing discipline.
- Completely revised and updated content throughout ensures you are using the best and most current information available on analgesic drugs and pain management techniques.
- An expanded chapter on Pain Management in Horses and Cattle explores the latest advances in treating this group of animals.
- Eight new chapters offer cutting-edge coverage of hot topics in the field, including:
- Pain Management in the Cat
- Pain Management for the Pet Bird
- Clinical Approaches to Analgesia in Reptiles
- Clinical Approaches to Analgesia in Ferrets and Rabbits
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation in Dogs
- Rehabilitation Methods and Modalities for the Cat
- Quality of Life Issues
- Hospice and Palliative Care
Part One — Principles of Pain Management
1. The Ethics of Pain Management
2. Physiology and Pathophysiology of Pain
3. Pain and Stress
4. Definitions of Terms Describing Pain
Part Two — Recognition and Evaluation of Pain
5. Pain Behaviors
6. Objective, Categoric Methods for Assessing Pain and Analgesia
Part Three — Therapy for the Alleviation of Pain
7. Pharmacologic Principles and Pain: Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics
8. Drugs Used to Treat Pain
10. Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs
12. Local Anesthetics
14. Other Drugs Used to Treat Pain
15. Local and Regional Anesthetic Techniques for Alleviation of Perioperative Pain
16. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) for Pain Management in Veterinary Patients
Part Four — Acute and Chronic Pain Management
17. Selecting Analgesic Drugs and Routes of Drug Administration
18. Acute Pain Management: A Case-Based Approach
19. Chronic Pain Management: A Case-Based Approach
20. Drug Antagonism and Antagonists
21. Cancer Pain Management
22. Pain Management in the Cat NEW!
23. Pain Management in Horses and Cattle
24. Pain Management for the Pet Bird NEW!
25. Clinical Approaches to Analgesia in Reptiles NEW!
26. Clinical Approach to Analgesia in Ferrets and Rabbits NEW!
27. Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation in Dogs NEW!
28. Rehabilitation Methods and Modalities for the Cat NEW!
29. Quality of Life Issues NEW!
30. Hospice and Palliative Care NEW!
James S. Gaynor, DVM, MS, DACVA, DAAPM, Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist, International Veterinary Acupuncture Society; Director, Animal Anesthesia and Pain Management Center, Colorado Springs, CO and William W. Muir, DVM, MSc, PhD, DACVA, DACVECC, Regional Director, American Academy of Pain Management, Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Consulting Services, Columbus, Ohio