Basic & Applied Concepts of Immunohematology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Page Count: 400
List Price: $79.95
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and you will not be charged until the item ships.
Clear and accessible, this text addresses the fundamental knowledge and skills you need to work in a blood-banking laboratory. It integrates basic theory — genetics, immunology, and immunohematology — then adds practical, problem-solving exercises. Clinical scenarios and critical thinking exercises help you apply basic concepts to modern transfusion and blood-bank settings.
- Experienced authors offer a practical "in the trenches" view of life in the laboratory.
- A clinical application focus relates concepts to practice and offers examples of using theoretical information in the laboratory setting.
- Coverage of quality control assurance and regulatory issues includes the "whys" in both reagents and equipment.
- An entire chapter is devoted to basic genetics and immunology coverage.
- Blood group systems are described in easy-to-follow, student-friendly terms.
- Illustrations and tables help you understand critical information.
- A two-color design brightens the text and makes it more reader-friendly.
- Chapter outlines, review questions, learning objectives, and key terms are included in each chapter, highlighting and reinforcing important material.
- Critical Thinking exercises ask you to draw conclusions based on a case study.
- Chapter summaries include a paragraph, table, or box of the essential information.
- NEW information reflects changes in the field, including:
- Different types of DNA testing and uses
- Automation impact and issues
- Latest donor criteria from the AABB and the FDA
- Hepatitis C and HIV NAT testing
- West Nile testing
- Bacterial contamination statistics and prevention
- Bone marrow transplant blood use
- Peripheral stem cell collection
- Cord blood collection and use
- More case studies, examples, and flow charts in the Antibody Detection and Identification chapter help to illustrate principles and practices.
- Margin Notes are added throughout to reinforce key terms and procedures.
- More review questions are added for thorough and efficient self-assessment.
- Expanded Evolve resources include web links, ArchieMD animations, and additional study questions
Foundations: Basic Sciences and Reagents
2. Blood Banking Reagents
3. Genetic Principles of Blood Banking
Overview of the Major Blood Groups
4. ABO and H Blood Group Systems and Secretor Status
5. Rh Blood Group System
6. Other Blood Group Systems
Essentials of Pretransfusion Testing
7. Antibody Detection and Identification
8. Compatibility Testing
Blood Collection, Testing, and Components
9. Donor Selection and Phlebotomy
10. Testing of Donor Blood
11. Blood Component Preparation and Therapy
Clinical Considerations in Immunohematology
12. Adverse Complications of Transfusions
13. Hemolytic Disease of the Fetus and Newborn
14. Transfusion Therapy in Selected Patients
Quality and Safety Issues
15. Quality Assurance and Regulation of the Blood Industry
16. Safety Issues in the Blood Bank
Kathy D. Blaney, MS, BB(ASCP)SBB, CHT(ABHI), Tissue Typing Laboratory, Florida Hospital; OneBlood, Inc., Orlando, Florida and Paula R. Howard, MS, MPH, MT(ASCP)SBB, OneBlood, Inc., Lauderhill, Florida