With Transcultural Nursing: Assessment and Intervention, 5th Edition, you can easily find specific assessment and intervention strategies for clients from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Divided into two parts, part one provides a systematic model of nursing assessment and intervention which takes six cultural phenomena into account: communication, space, social organization, time, environmental control, and biological variations. Part two applies these six cultural phenomena to the assessment and care of individuals in specific cultures. This user-friendly assessment tool is an outstanding resource for improving client care. Plus, this new edition includes all-new NCLEX® examination-style review questions, updated research and census data, and an increased emphasis on genetic and biologic variations.
- Authors Giger and Davidhizar's innovative Transcultural Assessment Model, with a full chapter devoted to each of the six aspects of cultural assessment, helps you address specific assessment and intervention strategies for clients from a variety of cultural backgrounds.
- Case studies and critical thinking questions at the end of each chapter help you apply the assessment framework in practice.
- Discussions of spiritual components throughout, with an emphasis on various religions, address this important topic in transcultural care.
- Clarification of biological variations for select cultural groups provides a better understanding of differences in biology among cultures.
- A holistic overview of genetics helps you understand genetics and genetic based diseases related to culture, race, and ethnicity.
- Additional expanded cases with initial presentation, history, physical examination and lab test data, along with sample care plans for each cultural group, help you apply knowledge to clinical practice.
- NCLEX® examination-style review questions at the end of every chapter help you prepare for similar questions on the NCLEX® exam.
- Two-color design makes information more easily readable.
- New appendix includes an answer key for NCLEX-RN® Review Questions at the end of each chapter, making it easy to check your answers.
PART ONE: FRAMEWORK FOR CULTURAL ASSESSMENT
1. Introduction to Transcultural Nursing
4. Social Organization
6. Environmental Control
7. Biological Variations
PART TWO: APPLICATION OF ASSESSMENT AND INTERVENTION TECHNIQUES TO SPECIFIC CULTURAL GROUPS
8. African Americans
9. Mexican Americans
12. American Eskimos
13. Japanese Americans
14. Afghan Americans
15. Russian Americans
16. Chinese Americans
17. Filipino Americans
18. Vietnamese Americans
19. East Indian Hindu Americans
20. Haitian Americans
21. Jewish Americans
22. Korean Americans
23. French Canadians of Quebec Origin
24. Puerto Rican Americans
Appendix A: Answer Key for NCLEX-RN Review Questions
Additional Chapters on Evolve:
26. Uganda Americans
27. Jordanian Americans
28. Cuban Americans
29. Amish Americans
30. Irish Americans