Understanding Pathophysiology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Page Count: 1216
List Price: $103.00
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and you will not be charged until the item ships.
This easy-to-read textbook provides you with the basic concepts of pathophysiology and the processes of specific diseases with the most accurate, up-to-date information on the treatments, manifestations, and mechanisms of disease. Understanding Pathophysiology, 4th Edition offers complete coverage in clear and concise detail with extensive full-color illustrations to make learning pathophysiology easy.
- Consistent presentation of each disease includes pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment to make remembering and learning information easier.
- Extensive collection of 900 photographs and illustrations vividly illustrate normal anatomy and physiology, cellular mechanisms, disease processes, and clinical manifestations of disease.
- UNIQUE! Health Alert boxes discuss a broad range of topics from new research, diagnostic studies, preventative care, and more.
- UNIQUE! Quick Check questions at the end of major sections promote critical thinking to help you apply your knowledge to real-life situations.
- UNIQUE! Risk Factor boxes illustrate the risk factors associated with specific diseases.
- Pediatric content presented in nine separate chapters provides thorough coverage of how various disease processes specifically affect children.
- Special headings highlight aging content within adult chapters to help you address the specialized needs of older patients.
- Did you Understand? end-of-chapter summaries help you review the major concepts presented in each chapter.
- Disease pathways throughout illustrate normal and compensatory physiology and pathophysiology.
- Includes extensively updated content based on the most current research available.
- Approximately 200 new full-color drawings, as well as hundreds of improved illustrations, clarify concepts to make content more easily understandable.
- Over 50 new Health Alert boxes present the most current research available.
- Electronic Resources listed at the beginning of each chapter direct you to additional materials on the companion CD and Evolve site.
- A glossary of over 850 terms helps you learn the often-difficult terminology related to pathophysiology.
PART ONE: BASIC CONCEPTS OF PATHOPHYSIOLOGY
Unit 1: The Cell
1. Cellular Biology
2. Genes and Genetic Diseases
3. Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology
4. Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases
Unit 2: Mechanisms of Self-Defense
5. Innate Defenses: Inflammation
6. Adaptive Immunity
7. Hypersensitivities, Infection, and Immune Deficiencies
8. Stress and Disease
Unit 3: Cellular Proliferation: Cancer
9. Biology of Cancer and Tumor Spread
10. Cancer Epidemiology, Manifestations, and Treatment
11. Cancer in Children
PART TWO: BODY SYSTEMS AND DISEASES
Unit 4: The Neurologic System
12. Structure and Function of the Neurologic System
13. Pain, Temperature, Sleep, and Sensory Function
14. Concepts of Neurologic Dysfunction
15. Alterations of Neurologic Function
16. Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children
Unit 5: The Endocrine System
17. Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation
18. Alterations of Hormonal Regulation
Unit 6: The Hematologic System
19. Structure and Function of the Hematologic System
20. Alterations of Hematologic Function
21. Alterations of Hematologic Function in Children
Unit 7: The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
22. Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
23. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function
24. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function in Children
Unit 8: The Pulmonary System
25. Structure and Function of the Pulmonary System
26. Alterations of Pulmonary Function
27. Alterations of Pulmonary Function in Children
Unit 9: The Renal and Urologic Systems
28. Structure and Function of the Renal and Urologic Systems
29. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function
30. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function in Children
Unit 10: The Reproductive Systems
31. Structure and Function of the Reproductive Systems
32. Alterations of the Reproductive Systems Including Sexually Transmitted Infections
Unit 11: The Digestive System
33. Structure and Function of the Digestive System
34. Alterations of Digestive Function
35. Alterations of Digestive Function in Children
Unit 12: The Musculoskeletal and Integumentary Systems
36. Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System
37. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function
38. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function in Children
39. Structure, Function, and Disorders of the Integument
40. Alterations of the Integument in Children
Appendix: Common Laboratory Values
Sue E. Huether, RN, PhD, Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT and Kathryn L. McCance, RN, PhD, Professor, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT