In this essentials version of the bestselling critical care nursing textbook (Thelan's Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis and Management, 5th Edition), Priorities in Critical Care Nursing, 5th Edition concisely addresses all of the core critical care nursing topics and helps you identify priorities to effectively manage patient care. Priorities in Critical Care Nursing also covers ethical and legal issues, patient and family education, psychosocial alterations, sleep alterations, nutritional alterations, gerontologic considerations, and end-of-life care.
- UNIQUE! Determining your diagnosis priorities is simple with Nursing Diagnosis Priorities boxes accompanying each medical disorder and major medical treatment discussion.
- UNIQUE! Patient Safety Priorities boxes included in each therapeutic management chapter highlight important patient safety considerations.
- Collaborative Management boxes guide you through management of a wide variety of disorders.
- Full-color design and illustrations throughout give you a real-life look at critical care.
- End-of-Life Care chapter discusses advance directives, palliative care, withdrawal of mechanical ventilation, and organ donation.
- Hematologic and Oncologic Issues chapter in the "Multisystem Alterations" unit addresses issues related to immunosuppression oncology and hematologic oncology, including disseminated intravascular coagulation, heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, and tumor lysis syndrome.
- Evidence-Based Collaborative Practice features summarize evidence-based recommendations for a variety of therapies.
- Patient Education features guide you in patient education for disorders including stroke, craniotomy, and Guillain-Barré syndrome.
- Common critical conditions are easily understandable with Concept Maps on conditions including intracranial hypertension, acute respiratory failure, acute gastrointestinal hemorrhage, myocardial infarction, acute respiratory distress syndrome, diabetes mellitus, and septic shock.
Unit One: FOUNDATIONS OF CRITICAL CARE NURSING PRACTICE
1. Caring for the Critically Ill Patient
2. Ethical and Legal Issues
3. Patient and Family Education
Unit Two: COMMON PROBLEMS IN CRITICAL CARE
4. Psychosocial Alterations
5. Sleep Alterations
6. Nutritional Alterations
7. Gerontologic Alterations
8. Pain and Pain Management
9. Sedation, Agitation, and Delirium Management
10. End-of-Life Care
Unit Three: CARDIOVASCULAR ALTERATIONS
11. Cardiovascular Assessment and Diagnostic Procedures
12. Cardiovascular Disorders
13. Cardiovascular Therapeutic Management
Unit Four: PULMONARY ALTERATIONS
14. Pulmonary Assessment and Diagnostic Procedures
15. Pulmonary Disorders
16. Pulmonary Therapeutic Management
Unit Five: NEUROLOGIC ALTERATIONS
17. Neurologic Assessment and Diagnostic Procedures
18. Neurologic Disorders and Therapeutic Management
Unit Six: RENAL ALTERATIONS
19. Renal Assessment and Diagnostic Procedures
20. Renal Disorders and Therapeutic Management
Unit Seven: GASTROINTESTINAL ALTERATIONS
21. Gastrointestinal Assessment and Diagnostic Procedures
22. Gastrointestinal Disorders and Therapeutic Management
Unit Eight: ENDOCRINE ALTERATIONS
23. Endocrine Assessment and Diagnostic Procedures
24. Endocrine Disorders and Therapeutic Management
Unit Nine: MULTISYSTEM ALTERATIONS
26. Shock and Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome
27. Hematologic and Oncologic Issues
Unit Ten: NURSING MANAGEMENT PLANS OF CARE