Introduction to Clinical Pharmacology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
- A focus on understanding drug classes rather than memorizing individual drugs helps you understand the actions and uses of drug classes and provides a framework for safe, effective practice as new drugs are introduced and as existing drugs are withdrawn from the market.
- Full-color design includes 195 drawings and photographs.
- Coverage of math review and medication administration includes three chapters on math review and drug dosage calculation, to promote safe drug administration.
- Consistent chapter format covers each drug class in a practical format including Action, Uses, Adverse Reactions, Drug and Food Interactions, and Nursing Implications and Patient Teaching sections.
- Application of the nursing process to each drug class includes Assessment, Diagnosis, Planning, Implementation, Evaluation, and Patient and Family Teaching.
- Key content is highlighted, as in all of Elsevier’s LPN Threads textbooks, with features such as Memory Joggers, Clinical Goldmines, Clinical Landmines, Pediatric Considerations, and Complementary and Alternative Therapies boxes.
- Case Studies in all drug chapters offer practice in applying information to realistic clinical situations and help you prepare for the NCLEX-PN Examination.
- Drug Calculation Review questions reinforce your drug calculation and math skills in the context of clinical practice.
- Critical Thinking Questions at the end of each chapter promote higher-level thinking skills while reinforcing key concepts.
- Glossary includes all of the book’s Key Terms plus additional terminology that will be helpful in clinical practice, with audio pronunciations on the Companion CD and Evolve website.
- Improved readability and clarity make the content easier than ever to learn.
- Unique! 30 "must-know" drugs — those most commonly prescribed — are highlighted with icons and listed inside the back cover for quick reference.
- Do-Not-Confuse Drug List, located inside the back cover for quick reference, helps you avoid drug errors with common look-alike/sound-alike drug names.
- Pharmacology and the Nursing Process in LPN/LVN Practice chapter focuses on today’s LPN/LVN practice environment, including the increased levels of responsibility, increasing resource constraints, and common cultural misunderstandings.
- Coverage of patient teaching and cultural awareness now emphasizes pharmacology rather than disease processes, relating patient teaching, health literacy, and lifespan and cultural considerations to drug administration.
- Updated diabetes coverage reflects the latest developments in drug therapy for patients with diabetes mellitus.
- Coverage of obesity management is expanded to reflect the national emphasis on reducing obesity in favor of healthy lifestyles that reduce the risk of diabetes, heart disease, and related "lifestyle diseases."
- Expanded coverage of drug-resistant infections includes MRSA and other drug-resistant organisms.
- Integrated Video Clips and Animations on the Companion CD and Evolve website are now highlighted in the margins of the book.
- Geriatric Considerations boxes are expanded and updated to better identify special considerations in drug therapy for older adults.
Unit One: General Principles of Pharmacology 1. Pharmacology and the Nursing Process in LPN/LVN Practice 2. Patient Teaching and Health Literacy 3. Legal Aspects Affecting the Administration of Medications 4. Foundations and Principles of Pharmacology 5. Lifespan and Cultural Modifications 6. Self-Care: Over-the-Counter Products, Herbal Therapies, and Drugs for Health Promotion
Unit Two: Principles of Medication Administration 7. Review of Mathematical Principles 8. Mathematical Equivalents Used in Pharmacology 9. Calculating Drug Dosages 10. Preparing and Administering Medications
Unit Three: Drug Groups 11. Allergy and Respiratory Medications 12. Antiinfective Medications 13. Antivirals, Antiretrovirals, and Antifungal Medications 14. Antineoplastic Medications 15. Cardiovascular and Renal Medications 16. Central and Peripheral Nervous System Medications 17. Medications for Pain Management 18. Gastrointestinal Medications 19. Hematologic Products 20. Hormones and Steroids 21. Immunologic Medications 22. Antiinflammatory, Musculoskeletal, and Antiarthritis Medications 23. Topical Medications 24. Vitamins and Minerals
Appendices A. Special Medication Precautions B. Answers to Drug Calculation Review
Questions Bibliography Illustration Credits Glossary Disorders Index General Index
Marilyn Winterton Edmunds, PhD, ANP/GNP, Adjunct Faculty, School of Nursing, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland; Editor, JNP: The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.