Local Anesthesia for the Dental Hygienist - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card)
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Written by a dental hygienist for dental hygienists, Local Anesthesia for the Dental Hygienist helps you learn the safe and effective administration of local anesthesia. Coverage is tailored to fit the role and needs of the dental hygienist and promotes patient-centered care by integrating discussions of the Human Needs Paradigm with complete instructions for local anesthesia administration. Full-color photographs illustrate specific injection techniques, and colorful illustrations show dental anatomy. Written by experienced educator Demetra Logothetis, this reference presents material at the right level for dental hygienists and prepares you for success both on your licensure exam and in your career.
- Nearly 450 high-quality images include full-color photographs showing injection techniques and illustrations of dental anatomy.
- Supportive approach acknowledges not only the patient's fear of injection but also the fears of the inexperienced clinician.
- A focus on the Human Needs Paradigm relates dental hygiene care to the eight human needs.
- Case studies make it easier to apply knowledge to real-life patient interactions and to develop problem-solving skills.
- Technique/Procedure boxes provide step-by-step instructions for performing specific procedures.
- Dental Hygiene Considerations boxes provide tips and key points for optimal care.
- Color-coded local anesthetic tables help in distinguishing among specific categories of agents and match the color codes of the American Dental Association (ADA).
- Key terms begin each chapter and are highlighted within the text; a glossary defines each term.
- Learning objectives begin each chapter and set goals for what you will accomplish; they also help you study for examinations.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter provide the opportunity to assess your understanding, with answers posted on the companion Evolve website.
- Summary tables and boxes offer at-a-glance access to concepts, procedures, and techniques.
- Expert author Demetra Logothetis is a dental hygiene educator with 15 years of experience teaching local anesthesia administration.
- A companion Evolve website includes a 300-question mock examination, technique exercises, glossary exercises, test-taking tips and strategies, competency skill sheets, content updates, and answers to the chapter review questions along with rationales and page-number references.
Section I: Introduction to Pain Control
Chapter 1. Local Anesthesia in Dental Hygiene Practice: An Introduction
Chapter 2. Neurophysiology
Section II: Local and Topical Anesthetic Agents
Chapter 3. Pharmacology of Local Anesthetic Agents
Chapter 4. Pharmacology of Vasoconstrictors
Chapter 5. Local Anesthetic Agents
Appendix 5-1: Summary of Amide Local Anesthetic Agents and Vasoconstrictors
Chapter 6. Topical Anesthetic Agents
Section III: Patient Assessment
Chapter 7. Preanesthetic Assessment
Appendix 7-1: Medical History Form
Appendix 7-2: Prophylatic Antibiotic Summary
Chapter 8. Determining Drug Doses
Appendix 8-1: Summary of Local Anesthetic Agents and Vasoconstrictors
Section IV: Local Anesthetic Techniques for the Dental Hygienist
Chapter 9. Armamentarium/Syringe Preparation
Chapter 10. Anatomical Consideration for the Administration of Local Anesthetics
Chapter 11. Basic Injection Techniques
Appendix 11-1: Do's and DonÕts of Handling Sharps
Chapter 12. Maxillary Nerve Anesthesia
Appendix 12-1: Summary of Maxillary Injections
Chapter 13. Mandibular Nerve Anesthesia
Appendix 13-1: Summary of Mandibular Injections
Section V: Complications, Legal Considerations, Risk Management
Chapter 14. Local Anesthetic Complications
Chapter 15. Legal Considerations and Risk Management
Demetra D. Logothetis, RDH, MS