Fundamentals of Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
Learn fundamental nursing principles, concepts, and skills with ease! Fundamentals of Nursing, 8th Edition includes accurate, cutting-edge content, active learning strategies, and the latest evidence-based research to help you excel in your classes and prepare for success in today's competitive nursing field. An expert author team led by Patricia Potter and Anne Griffin Perry provides a trusted, comprehensive resource, thoroughly reviewed by nursing experts and peers to ensure the most accurate content. With practical, fully integrated study support, this edition makes it easier than ever to build the understanding and clinical reasoning essential to providing excellent patient care.
- UNIQUE! Clear, streamlined writing style makes complex material more approachable.
- UNIQUE! Critical Thinking Models in each clinical chapter show you how to apply the nursing process for successful clinical outcomes.
- The 5-step nursing process provides a consistent framework for clinical practice.
- More than 55 skills demonstrations guide you through each step for administering safe nursing care.
- More than 20 Procedural Guidelines clearly outline basic skill instructions.
- Unexpected Outcomes and Related Interventions for each skill alert you to potential problems and appropriate actions.
- Planning sections on Goals and Outcomes, Setting Priorities, and Teamwork and Collaboration help you plan and prioritize care.
- Implementation sections detail care guidelines for health promotion, acute care, and continuing care across all practice settings.
- Delegation coverage clarifies which skills can or cannot be delegated.
- Safe Patient Handling Guidelines help you ensure compliance with patient safety regulations.
- More than 25 Care Plans help you understand how to apply the 5-step nursing process to address individual patient problems.
- Patient Teaching boxes help you develop and implement successful strategies for patient education.
- Nursing Assessment Questions boxes help you phrase questions for more effective patient communication.
- Cultural Aspect of Care boxes provide practical guidelines for managing patients' cultural needs and preferences.
- Focus on Older Adult boxes highlight key aspects of nursing assessment and care for this growing population.
- Key Points summarize important content for more efficient study.
- Key terms at the beginning of each chapter include convenient page references to complete definitions.
- More than 25 Concept Maps illustrate care planning for clients with multiple nursing diagnoses.
- NOC outcomes, NIC interventions, and the latest NANDA diagnoses incorporated into Care Plans reflect national care standards you'll encounter in practice.
- UNIQUE! Caring for the Cancer Survivor chapter prepares you for the special challenges involved in caring for cancer survivors who still face physical and emotional effects of the illness and its treatment.
- Engaging study tools on the Evolve companion website reinforce your understanding with convenient access to skills video clips, skills checklists, chapter audio summaries, answers to practice questions, a calculations tutorial, a searchable audio glossary, a Spanish/English glossary, and more.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Building Competency boxes help you apply QSEN (Quality & Safety Education for Nurses) competencies to realistic clinical situations.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Expanded Evidence-Based Practice boxes highlight the importance of current clinical research in daily practice.
- NEW! Case studies in all clinical chapters allow you to practice using care plans and concept maps to perform clinical application exercises.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Clinical Application questions test your understanding of clinical practices.
- NEW! Skill guidelines for blood glucose monitoring help you ensure accurate readings when performing this common skill.
- NEW! Content on violence, genetics/genomics, compassion fatigue, bullying, and the accreditation process addresses current concerns in nursing practice.
- NEW! More than 725 review questions test your retention of key chapter concepts.
- NEW! Three comprehensive fundamentals practice exams and a calculations tutorial on the companion Evolve website help you assess your understanding.
- More than 100 NEW photos clarify procedures and familiarize you with the latest clinical equipment.
NEW! Glossary provides quick, convenient access to definitions for all key terms.
Unit 1: Nursing and the Health Care Environment
1. Nursing Today
2. The Health Care Delivery System
3. Community-Based Nursing Practice
4. Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice
5. Evidence-Based Practice
Unit 2: Caring Throughout the Life Span
6. Health and Wellness
7. Caring in Nursing Practice
8. Caring for the Cancer Survivor
9. Culture and Ethnicity
10. Caring for Families
11. Developmental Theories
12. Conception Through Adolescence
13. Young to Middle Adult
14. Older Adult
Unit 3: Critical Thinking in Nursing Practice
15. Critical Thinking in Nursing Practice
16. Nursing Assessment
17. Nursing Diagnosis
18. Planning Nursing Care
19. Implementing Nursing Care
21. Managing Patient Care
Unit 4: Professional Standards in Nursing Practice
22. Ethics and Values
23. Legal Implications in Nursing Practice
25. Patient Education
26. Documentation and Informatics
Unit 5: Foundations for Nursing Practice
27. Patient Safety
28. Infection Prevention and Infection Control
29. Vital Signs
30. Health Assessment and Physical Examination
31. Medication Administration
32. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
Unit 6: Psychosocial Basis for Nursing Practice
35. Spiritual Health
36. The Experience of Loss, Death, and Grief
37. Stress and Coping
Unit 7: Physiological Basis for Nursing Practice
38. Activity and Exercise
41. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance
43. Pain Management
45. Urinary Elimination
46. Bowel Elimination
47. Mobility and Immobility
48. Skin Integrity and Wound Care
49. Sensory Alterations
50. Care of Surgical Patients
Patricia A. Potter, RN, MSN, PhD, FAAN, Director of Research, Patient Care Services
St. Louis, MO, Anne Griffin Perry, RN, EdD, FAAN, Professor and Associate Dean, School of Nursing, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, IL, Patricia Stockert, RN, BSN, MS, PhD, President of the College, Saint Francis Medical Center College of Nursing, Peoria, IL and Amy Hall, RN, BSN, MS, PhD, CNE, Chair and White Family Endowed Professor of Nursing, Dunigan Family Department of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Evansville, Evansville, IN