Covering common pulmonary function tests and techniques, Ruppel's Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing, 10th Edition is not only an authoritative, on-the-job reference, but an excellent resource for preparing for the CPFT (certified pulmonary function technologist) and RPFT (registered pulmonary function technologist) specialty credentialing examinations. It includes information on pathophysiology, equipment, and quality assurance, so you can develop the testing skills you need to find and assess lung abnormalities and conditions including asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and cystic fibrosis. Written by Carl Mottram, RRT, RPFT, FAARC, one of the most respected experts in pulmonary function procedures, this text helps you get accurate test results every time.
- A "how to" approach to testing explains procedures step-by-step and provides a valuable on-the-job reference.
- UNIQUE! Objectives for both Entry and Advanced Levels following the content guidelines suggested by National Board for Respiratory Care provide a useful study tool for the CPFT and RPFT examinations.
- UNIQUE! PF Tips boxes highlight content from the text to help you remember essential information.
- UNIQUE! Clinical Practice Tips provide helpful guidance for applying the concepts and procedures from each chapter.
- Updated "Case Studies" provide you with the most up-to-date scenarios to help prepare you for clinical situations.
- Updated "Self-Assessment Questions" for each chapter test your knowledge of the content, and answers in the appendix let you check your answers for accuracy.
- The latest guidelines from the American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society (ATS/ERS) and the American Thoracic Society/American College of Chest Physicians (ATS/ACCP), plus information on new procedures and testing equipment ensure you use the most current practice guidelines.
- UNIQUE! More real-life cases with actual tracings and authentic patient data enhance your ability to interpret pulmonary function studies.
- Chapter Outlines, Key Terms, and Key Point Summaries highlight the most important information in every chapter and help you review key information for the CPFT and RPFT examinations.
1. Indications for Pulmonary Function Testing
2. Spirometry and Related Tests
3. Lung Volumes and Gas Distribution Tests
4. Ventilation and Ventilatory Control Tests
5. Diffusing Capacity Tests
6. Blood Bases and Related Tests
7. Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing – EXPANDED!
8. Pediatric Pulmonary Function Testing
9. Specialized Test Regimens – EXPANDED!
10. Pulmonary Function Testing Equipment – EXPANDED!
11. Quality Assurance in the Pulmonary Function Laboratory
A. Answers to Self-Assessment Questions
B. Reference Values
C. Conversion and Correction Factors
D. Regulations and Regulatory Agencies
E. Useful Equations
F. Sample Calculations
G. The Mean and Standard Deviation