Patient Care in Radiography - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
With clear, step-by-step instructions and more than 400 detailed full-color illustrations, Patient Care in Radiography, 8th Edition helps you develop the technical and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively care for radiography patients in the clinical environment. Current, comprehensive coverage aligned with ASRT curriculum guidelines helps you connect concepts to clinical applications and confidently master essential procedures and techniques for safety, transfer, positioning, infection control, assessment, and more.
- Information from the American Society of Radiologic Technologists includes the organizational structure of ASRT and the scope of practice standards relevant to the radiographer.
- Comprehensive overviews of department organization, job opportunities, radiation protection, clinical environment, and ethics provide a solid foundation for both students and professionals.
- Patient care tips alongside descriptions of procedures encourage high-quality patient care in addition to technical proficiency.
- Consistent, straightforward, engaging writing style explains and breaks down complex concepts for easier understanding.
- Infection control content covers infectious diseases, guidelines for hand hygiene, and use of needleless devices, providing necessary information to help prevent the spread of infection.
- Chapter on special imaging techniques and modalities discusses CT angiography, MRI, mammography, and PET imaging, keeping you up to date with a wide range of imaging modalities.
- Procedures are described step by step, with pictures showing each step.
- Case Studies focus on medicolegal terms, standards, and applications, preparing you to problem-solve in real life clinical situations.
- Expanded coverage of HIPAA regulations includes relevant examples of compliance in today’s imaging departments.
- Cultural diversity is explored in greater depth in the Communications chapter, designed to facilitate effective communication among culturally diverse healthcare professionals and patients.
- Chapter outlines, vocabulary lists, and learning objectives help you make the most of your study and review time.
- Check-off forms for documenting clinical objectives related to patient care are provided in an appendix.
- More review questions are provided at the end of each chapter, and some chapters include additional critical thinking questions.
- More Spanish phrases are included in an appendix, helping you better communicate with Spanish-speaking patients in the clinical setting.
1. Introduction to Radiography
2. Professional Roles and Behaviors
3. Professional Attitudes and Communications
4. Safety, Transfer, and Positioning
5. Infection Control
6. Patient Care and Assessment
7. Medications and Their Administration
8. Dealing with Acute Situations
9. Preparation and Examination of the Gastrointestinal Tract
10. Contrast Media and Special Radiographic Techniques
11. Bedside Radiography: Special Conditions and Environments
12. Special Imaging Modalities
A. Radiography Practice and Standards
B. Informed Consent Form
C. Abbreviated List of Spanish Phrases with Guides to Pronunciation
D. Accepted Abbreviations and Descriptive Terms for Charting
E. Incident Report Form
F. Radiology Department Infection Control Procedures
G. Isolation Guidelines
H. Urine Collection
I. Iodinated Contrast Media Products for Radiography
J. Molecular Structure of Some Typical Iodinated Contrast Media
K. Catheterization Technique
L. Diagnostic Electrocardiography
M. Clinical Objectives
Ruth Ann Ehrlich, RT(R), Radiology Faculty (Retired), Western States Chiropractic College, Portland, OR; Adjunct Faculty, Portland Community College, Portland, OR