With step-by-step instructions for over 100 nursing assistant procedures, Mosby's Textbook for Nursing Assistants, 8th Edition makes it easy to master the skills you need to succeed as a nursing assistant. Known for its visual approach and comprehensive, easy-to-read coverage, this market-leading text emphasizes the importance of the patient or resident as a person, communication, safety, comfort, effective delegation, and teamwork and time management. This edition provides expanded content on the person’s rights and pressure ulcers. The updated companion CD includes three new procedures, an updated audio glossary, and more. Written by respected educator Sheila Sorrentino and expert co-author Leighann Remmert, Mosby's Textbook for Nursing Assistants makes nurse assisting easy to learn.
- A comprehensive approach to nurse assisting provides complete coverage of all skills needed in a single resource.
- The clear, engaging, 7th grade writing style enhances comprehension.
- Nearly 1,000 full-color photographs and illustrations visually reinforce concepts and make content easier to understand.
- Over 100 procedures guide you step-by-step through essential skills, with complicated tasks presented in manageable segments for easier learning.
- Caring About Culture boxes help you provide care in a manner sensitive to the beliefs and customs of a variety of diverse cultures.
- Delegation guidelines identify your specific responsibilities in accepting commonly delegated tasks.
- Promoting Safety and Comfort boxes detail measures and cautions for ensuring safe, effective patient care.
- Focus On... boxes address the special needs of children, older persons, long-term care residents, and home care patients.
- Charting examples demonstrate the proper methods for accurately recording patient information and data.
- An appendix on Spanish health care terminology provides information needed to communicate effectively with Spanish-speaking patients and broadens the scope of your caring abilities.
- Chapter Review Questions assess your understanding and identify subjects requiring further study.
- The Workbook and Competency Evaluation Review, sold separately, enhances your learning with engaging activities, procedure checklists, and a competency review with questions, two practice exams plus a skills review that prepare you for certification.
- Teamwork and Time Management boxes provide specific guidelines to help you work most efficiently.
- Focus on Communication boxes present practical tips for communicating clearly and effectively with residents and patients.
- Key Abbreviations in each chapter familiarize you with abbreviations common to your daily communication.
- Focus on Ethics and Laws boxes include real-life examples that help you understand the ethical and legal considerations of practice.
- Boxes at the beginning of each chapter list procedures in the chapter
- 10 new chapters expand coverage of important techniques and disorders so you can provide effective care for the widest range of patients/residents.
1. Introduction to Health Care Agencies
2. The Nursing Assistant
3. Ethics and Laws NEW
4. Work Ethics
5. Communicating With the Health Team
6. Assisting With the Nursing Process
7. Understanding the Person
8. Body Structure and Function
9. Growth and Development
10. Care of the Older Person
12. Preventing Falls NEW
13. Promoting a Restraint-Free Environment
14. Preventing Infection
15. Body Mechanics
16. Safely Handling, Moving, and Transferring the Person NEW
17. The Person’s Unit
19. Personal Hygiene
20. Personal Care and Grooming
21. Urinary Elimination
22. Bowel Elimination
23. Nutrition and Fluids
24. Nutritional Support and IV Therapy NEW
25. Measuring Vital Signs
26. Exercise and Activity
27. Comfort, Rest, and Sleep
28. Admissions, Transfers, and Discharges
29. Assisting With the Physical Examination
30. Collecting Specimens
31. The Person Having Surgery
32. Wound Care
33. Heat and Cold Applications
34. Oxygen Needs
35. Respiratory Support and Therapies NEW
36. Rehabilitation and Restorative Care
37. Hearing, Speech, and Vision Problems
38. Cancer and Immune System Disorders NEW
39. Nervous System and Musculoskeletal Disorders NEW
40. Cardiovascular and Respiratory Disorders NEW
41. Digestive and Endocrine Disorders NEW
42. Urinary and Reproductive Disorders NEW
43. Mental Health Problems
44. Confusion and Dementia
45. Developmental Disabilities
47. Caring for Mothers and Newborns
48. Assisted Living
49. Basic Emergency Care
50. The Dying Person