Focusing on basic word building skills, Basic Medical Language, 4th Edition provides the foundation of medical vocabulary you need to communicate with other health care team members. It explains a carefully selected group of suffixes, prefixes, and word roots to give you a basis for learning and understanding hundreds of medical terms. Clear, illustrated lessons present terms by body system, introducing word parts and providing exercises that ask you to define terms or combine word parts to create terms. Written by expert educators Myrna LaFleur Brooks and Danielle LaFleur Brooks, this text also simplifies medical terminology with online learning activities, games, and quizzes.
- Beginning with word parts and moving on to whole words, the systematic presentation equips you to recognize and define new words as you encounter them.
- A variety of learning exercises tests your knowledge and provides instant feedback on your progress.
- The Abbreviations tables include the most common medical abbreviations you’ll encounter in the healthcare setting.
- Review sections within each lesson reinforce your learning.
- Consistent organization and pacing of lessons steadily build your knowledge and vocabulary.
- Coverage of every body system ensures you have all the basic medical terminology content you need.
- FYI boxes include practical and interesting information to spark your curiosity.
- Over 200 flash cards printed on card stock and bound with the book provide a portable way to study.
- At-a-Glance sections provide a quick review to help you get the most out of each lesson.
- New illustrations and diagnostic images show the latest developments in the clinical environment.
- Exercises like Interact with Medical Documents and others help you understand and use terms with the documents you’ll use in practice.
- Outline/Objectives highlight the most important information for each chapter.
- Icons throughout the text direct you to the companion CD to enhance your learning experience.
- Two new games, updated activities, and animations on the companion CD reinforce your learning and provide additional background for pathologies and procedures in the text.
- The online audio program ensures proper pronunciation of terms.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Medical Language and Body Structure
Lesson 2: Directional Terms, Planes, Regions and Quadrants
Lesson 3: Integumentary System and Colors
Lesson 4: Respiratory System
Time Out Review for Lessons 1-4
Lesson 5: Urinary System
Lesson 6: Reproductive Systems
Lesson 7: Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
Lesson 8: Digestive System
Time Out Review for Lessons 5-8
Lesson 9: Eye, Ear, and Plural Endings
Lesson 10: Musculoskeletal System
Lesson 11: Nervous System
Lesson 12: Endocrine System
Time Out Review for Lessons 9-12
Appendix A: Words Parts Used in Basic Medical Language
Appendix B: Abbreviations
Appendix C: Answers to Exercises