Health Promotion Throughout the Life Span - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
With the advent of health care reform and an emphasis on reducing health care costs, health promotion and disease prevention is a priority in nursing care. Be prepared with Health Promotion Throughout the Life Span, 8th Edition, your comprehensive guide to major health promotion concepts. Featuring practical guidance – including boxes on diversity awareness, evidence-based practice, innovative practice, hot topics, and quality and safety as well as case studies and care plans – our experienced authors give you all the tools you need to stay current on the latest research and trends in health promotion.
- UNIQUE! The assessment framework for this textbook is based on Gordon’s Functional Health Patterns and offers a consistent presentation of content and a health promotion approach.
- Extensive coverage of growth and development throughout the life span emphasizes the unique problems and health promotion needs of each stage of development.
- UNIQUE! Think About It boxes present a realistic clinical scenario and critical thinking questions.
- UNIQUE! Multicultural Awareness boxes present cultural perspectives important to care planning.
- Research Highlights boxes discuss current research efforts and research opportunities in health promotion.
- UNIQUE! Hot Topics boxes explore significant issues, trends, and controversies in health promotion to spark critical discussion and debate.
- UNIQUE! Innovative Practice boxes offer examples of unique and creative health promotion programs and projects.
- Updated nutrition coverage includes MyPyramid from the FDA, as well as the latest information on food safety and fad diets.
- Expanded health policy coverage focuses on global health, historical perspectives, financing healthcare, concierge medical practices, and the hospitalist movement.
- Health Promotion for the Twenty-First Century explores current and future health promotion challenges and research initiatives.
- Updated Healthy People 2010 data includes midcourse review objectives and an introduction to Healthy People 2020.
- Case Studies and Care Plans summarize key concepts and show how they apply to real-life practice.
UNIT 1: FOUNDATIONS FOR HEALTH PROMOTION
- Health Defined: Objectives for Promotion and Prevention
- Emerging Populations and Health
- Health Policy and the Delivery System
- The Therapeutic Relationship
- Ethical Issues Relevant to Health Promotion
- Health Promotion and the Individual
- Health Promotion and the Family
- Health Promotion and the Community
- Health Education
- Nutrition Counseling for Health Promotion
- Stress Management
- Holistic Health Strategies
- Overview of Growth and Development Framework
- The Prenatal Period
- Preschool Child
- School-Age Child
- Young Adult
- Middle-Age Adult
- Older Adult
- Health Promotion for the Twenty-First Century
UNIT 2: ASSESSMENT FOR HEALTH PROMOTION
UNIT 3: INTERVENTIONS FOR HEALTH PROMOTION
UNIT 4: APPLICATION OF HEALTH PROMOTION
UNIT 5: CHALLENGES IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY
Carole Lium Edelman, APRN, MS, CS, BC, CMC, Director of Geriatric Care Management, Waveny Care Center, New Canaan, CT; Associate Faculty Member, Yale University School of Nursing, New Haven, CT; Fellow, Brookdale Center on Aging; Hunter College, New York, NY, Elizabeth C. Kudzma, DNSc, MPH, RNC, Professor of Nursing, Curry College, Milton, Massachusetts and Carol Lynn Mandle, PhD, AP, RN, CNS, FNP, Associate Professor, Connell School of Nursing, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA; Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA; Family Nurse Practitioner, Clinical Nurse Specialist and Scientist, Mind-Body Medical Institute, Boston, MA; Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA; Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA