Covering the full range of nursing interventions, Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC), 6th Edition provides a research-based clinical tool to help in selecting appropriate interventions. It standardizes and defines the knowledge base for nursing practice while effectively communicating the nature of nursing. More than 550 nursing interventions are provided — including 23 NEW labels. As the only comprehensive taxonomy of nursing-sensitive interventions available, this book is ideal for practicing nurses, nursing students, nursing administrators, and faculty seeking to enhance nursing curricula and improve nursing care.
- Includes 542 research-based nursing intervention labels with specific activities.
- Presents a definition, a list of activities, a publication facts line, and references for each intervention.
- Provides 34 brand-new interventions that address important topics such as defibrillator management, infant nutrition, toddler safety, and wound care: burns.
- Includes 77 substantively-revised interventions that supply the most up-to-date information on a wide variety of interventions, including chemotherapy management, hypnosis, radiation therapy management, exercise therapy, and shock prevention.
- Supplies updated and expanded lists of core interventions for 45 specialties.
- Each intervention now includes a publication facts line that indicates the timeline for development and revision of the intervention.
- A "call for reviewers" invites users to participate in future editions of Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC).
PART ONE Construction and Use of the Classification
Chapter 1 An Overview of the Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC)
Chapter 2 Development, Testing, and Implementation of NIC: 1987-2006
Chapter 3 Use of NIC
PART TWO Taxonomy of Nursing Interventions
PART THREE The Classification
PART FOUR Core Interventions for Nursing Specialty Areas
PART FIVE Estimated Time and Education Level Necessary to Perform NIC Interventions
PART SIX Appendixes
A. Interventions: New, Revised, and Retired Since the Fourth Edition
B. Guidelines for Submission of a New or Revised Intervention
C. Timeline and Highlights
D. Call for Peer Reviewers
E. Selected Publications