Adult Health Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Covering basic anatomy & physiology and medical-surgical nursing for the LPN/LVN, Adult Health Nursing, 7th Edition provides just the right amount of information you need — with a level of detail that is neither overwhelming nor too superficial. Guidelines for patient care are presented within the framework of the five-step nursing process; Nursing Care Plans are described within a case-study format to help you develop skills in clinical decision-making. Written by Kim Cooper and Kelly Gosnell, this text includes review questions to help you prepare for the NCLEX-PN® examination!
- Companion CD includes animations and audio clips depicting physiologic processes, physical assessment video clips, an English/Spanish glossary with definitions and audio pronunciations, an anatomy coloring book, and a fluid and electrolytes tutorial.
- Chapters begin with an overview of anatomy and physiology, providing a clear, basic understanding of A&P that LPN/LVNs need to know.
- The consistent, logical framework of the nursing process connects specific disorders to patient care.
- Safety Alert boxes help you implement The Joint Commission’s safety guidelines in all settings, with considerations for special populations.
- Nursing Diagnosis boxes, screened and highlighted in the text, include nursing diagnoses for specific disorders paired with the appropriate nursing interventions.
- Skills in a step-by-step format with full-color illustrations present clearly defined nursing actions with rationales for the skills and techniques you’ll use in practice.
- Medication tables are meticulously detailed and provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
- Nursing Care Plans, presented in a case-study format, emphasize patient goals and outcomes and end with Critical Thinking Questions to develop your clinical decision-making skills.
- An emphasis on communication features real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue and illustrates practical guidelines for effective communication.
- Patient Teaching boxes and Family Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
- Life Span Considerations for Older Adults boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- Home Care Considerations boxes discuss the issues facing patients and caregivers in the home health care setting.
- Health Promotion boxes provide key information on staying healthy and preventing disease, with tips on wellness from Healthy People 2010.
- Cultural Considerations boxes discuss how to address the health needs of a culturally diverse patient population when planning care.
- Complementary and Alternative Therapy boxes includes disorder-specific therapies, precautions, and possible side effects of non-traditional treatments.
- Enhanced focus on the NCLEX® Examination offers end-of-chapter Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections with key points for self-guided study and remediation and an extensive set of review questions for thorough self-assessment. Additional review questions on Evolve provide instant feedback with correct answer and rationale for even more test-taking practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize the latest research findings and highlight how they apply to LPN/LVN practice.
- Updated, vibrant full-color design highlights key information and enhances your understanding of important concepts.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
Chapter 2: Care of the Surgical Patient
Chapter 3: Care of the Patient with an Integumentary Disorder
Chapter 4: Care of the Patient with a Musculoskeletal Disorder
Chapter 5: Care of the Patient with a Gastrointestinal Disorder
Chapter 6: Care of the Patient with a Gallbladder, Liver, Biliary Tract, or Exocrine Pancreatic Disorder
Chapter 7: Care of the Patient with a Blood or Lymphatic Disorder
Chapter 8: Care of the Patient with a Cardiovascular or a Peripheral Vascular Disorder
Chapter 9: Care of the Patient with a Respiratory Disorder
Chapter 10: Care of the Patient with a Urinary Disorder
Chapter 11: Care of the Patient with an Endocrine Disorder
Chapter 12: Care of the Patient with a Reproductive Disorder
Chapter 13: Care of the Patient with a Visual or Auditory Disorder
Chapter 14: Care of the Patient with a Neurologic Disorder
Chapter 15: Care of the Patient with an Immune Disorder
Chapter 16: Care of the Patient with HIV/AIDS
Chapter 17: Care of the Patient with Cancer
Kim Cooper, RN, MSN, Chair, Nursing Department Program, Ivy Tech State College, Terre Haute, IN and Kelly Gosnell, RN, MSN, Associate Professor of Nursing
Ivy Tech Community College
Terre Haute, Indiana