Foundations of Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),7th Edition
A guide to the fundamentals of nursing for the LPN/LVN, Foundations of Nursing, 7th Edition covers the skills you need for clinical practice, from nursing interventions to maternity, neonatal, pediatric, geriatric, mental health, and community health care. Guidelines for patient care are presented within the framework of the five-step nursing process; Nursing Care Plans are described within a case-study format to help you develop skills in clinical decision-making. Written by Kim Cooper and Kelly Gosnell, this text includes review questions to help you prepare for the NCLEX-PN® examination!
- Companion CD includes animations and audio clips depicting physiologic processes, physical assessment video clips, an English/Spanish glossary with definitions and audio pronunciations, an anatomy coloring book, and a fluid and electrolytes tutorial.
- The consistent, logical framework of the nursing process connects specific disorders to patient care.
- A mathematics review chapter provides a complete review of basic arithmetic skills and practice in drug dosage calculation to ensure safe medication administration.
- Safety Alert boxes help you implement The Joint Commission’s safety guidelines in all settings, with considerations for special populations.
- Nursing Diagnosis boxes, screened and highlighted in the text, include nursing diagnoses for specific disorders paired with the appropriate nursing interventions.
- More than 100 skills in a step-by-step format with full-color illustrations present clearly defined nursing actions with rationales for the skills and techniques you’ll use in practice.
- Medication tables are meticulously detailed and provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
- Nursing Care Plans, presented in a case-study format, emphasize patient goals and outcomes and end with Critical Thinking Questions to develop your clinical decision-making skills.
- Coordinated Care boxes emphasize parameters for prioritizing tasks, as well as assigning tasks to and supervising unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Patient Teaching boxes and Family Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
- Life Span Considerations for Older Adults boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- Home Care Considerations boxes discuss the issues facing patients and caregivers in the home health care setting.
- Health Promotion boxes provide key information on staying healthy and preventing disease, with tips on wellness from Healthy People 2010.
- Cultural Considerations boxes discuss how to address the health needs of a culturally diverse patient population when planning care.
- Enhanced focus on the NCLEX® Examination offers end-of-chapter Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections with key points for self-guided study and remediation and an extensive set of review questions for thorough self-assessment. Additional review questions on Evolve provide instant feedback with correct answer and rationale for even more test-taking practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize the latest research findings and highlight how they apply to LPN/LVN practice.
- Updated, vibrant full-color design highlights key information and enhances your understanding of important concepts.
Unit One: Basic Nursing Concepts
Chapter 1: The Evolution of Nursing
Chapter 2: Legal and Ethical Aspects of Nursing
Chapter 3: Communication
Chapter 4: Vital Signs
Chapter 5: Physical Assessment
Chapter 6: Nursing Process and Critical Thinking
Chapter 7: Documentation
Chapter 8: Cultural and Ethnic Considerations
Chapter 9: Life Span Development
Chapter 10: Loss, Grief, Dying, and Death
Unit Two: Basic Nursing Skills
Chapter 11: Admission, Transfer, and Discharge
Chapter 12: Medical-Surgical Asepsis and Infection Control
Chapter 13: Surgical Wound Care
Chapter 14: Safety
Chapter 15: Body Mechanics and Patient Mobility
Chapter 16: Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep
Chapter 17: Complementary and Alternative Therapies
Chapter 18: Hygiene and Care of the Patient’s Environment
Chapter 19: Specimen Collection and Diagnostic Examination
Chapter 20: Selected Nursing Skills
Unit Three: Basic Nursing Interventions
Chapter 21: Basic Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy
Chapter 22: Fluids and Electrolytes
Chapter 23: Mathematics Review and Medication Administration
Chapter 24: Emergency First Aid Nursing
Unit Four: Maternal And Neonatal Nursing
Chapter 25: Health Promotion and Pregnancy
Chapter 26: Labor and Delivery
Chapter 27: Care of the Mother and Newborn
Chapter 28: Care of the High-Risk Mother, Newborn, and Family with Special Needs
Unit Five: Pediatric Nursing
Chapter 29: Health Promotion for the Infant, Child, and Adolescent
Chapter 30: Basic Pediatric Nursing Care
Chapter 31: Care of the Child with a Physical Disorder
Chapter 32: Care of the Child with a Mental or Cognitive Disorder
Unit Six: Gerontologic Nursing
Chapter 33: Health Promotion and Care of the Older Adult
Unit Seven: Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
Chapter 34: Basic Concepts of Mental Health
Chapter 35: Care of the Patient with a Psychiatric Disorder
Chapter 36: Care of the Patient with an Addictive Personality
Unit Eight: Community Health Nursing
Chapter 37: Home Health Nursing
Chapter 38: Long-Term Care
Chapter 39: Rehabilitation Nursing
Chapter 40: Hospice Care
Unit Nine: From Graduate to Professional
Chapter 41: Professional Roles and Leadership
Kim Cooper, RN, MSN, Chair, Nursing Department Program, Ivy Tech State College, Terre Haute, IN and Kelly Gosnell, RN, MSN, Associate Professor of Nursing
Ivy Tech Community College
Terre Haute, Indiana