Foundations of Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Part of the popular LPN Threads series, this comprehensive text prepares your students for safe and effective nursing practice in today's fast-paced healthcare environment. Covering maternal and neonatal, pediatric, geriatric, mental health, and community nursing, Foundations of Nursing, 6th Edition, includes all of the essential LPN/LVN content your students need.
- Companion CD includes animations and audio clips depicting physiologic processes, physical assessment video clips, an English/Spanish glossary with definitions and audio pronunciations, an anatomy coloring book, and a fluid and electrolytes tutorial.
- The consistent, logical framework of the nursing process connects specific disorders to patient care.
- A mathematics review chapter provides a complete review of basic arithmetic skills and practice in drug dosage calculation to ensure safe medication administration.
- Safety Alert boxes help you implement The Joint Commission’s safety guidelines in all settings, with considerations for special populations.
- Nursing Diagnosis boxes, screened and highlighted in the text, include nursing diagnoses for specific disorders paired with the appropriate nursing interventions.
- More than 100 skills in a step-by-step format with full-color illustrations present clearly defined nursing actions with rationales for the skills and techniques you’ll use in practice.
- Medication tables are meticulously detailed and provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
- Nursing Care Plans, presented in a case-study format, emphasize patient goals and outcomes and end with Critical Thinking Questions to develop your clinical decision-making skills.
- Coordinated Care boxes emphasize parameters for prioritizing tasks, as well as assigning tasks to and supervising unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Patient Teaching boxes and Family Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
- Life Span Considerations for Older Adults boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- Home Care Considerations boxes discuss the issues facing patients and caregivers in the home health care setting.
- Health Promotion boxes provide key information on staying healthy and preventing disease, with tips on wellness from Healthy People 2010.
- Cultural Considerations boxes discuss how to address the health needs of a culturally diverse patient population when planning care.
- Enhanced focus on the NCLEX® Examination offers end-of-chapter Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections with key points for self-guided study and remediation and an extensive set of review questions for thorough self-assessment. Additional review questions on Evolve provide instant feedback with correct answer and rationale for even more test-taking practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize the latest research findings and highlight how they apply to LPN/LVN practice.
- Updated, vibrant full-color design highlights key information and enhances your understanding of important concepts.
Unit I: Fundamentals of Nursing 1. Evolution of Nursing 2. Legal and Ethical Aspects of Nursing 3. Documentation 4. Communication 5. Nursing Process and Critical Thinking 6. Cultural and Ethnic Considerations
Unit II: Fundamentals of Clinical Practice 7. Asepsis and Infection Control 8. Body Mechanics and Patient Mobility 9. Hygiene and Care of the Patient’s Environment 10. Safety
Unit III: Introduction to Nursing Interventions 11. Vital Signs 12. Physical Assessment 13. Admission, Transfer, and Discharge 14. Surgical Wound Care 15. Specimen Collection and Diagnostic Testing 16. Care of Patients Experiencing Urgent Alterations in Health 17. Complementary and Alternative Therapies 18. Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep 19. Nutritional Concepts and Related Therapies 20. Fluids and Electrolytes 21. Dosage Calculation and Medication Administration 22. Care of Patients with Alterations in Health
Unit IV: Nursing Care Across the Lifespan 23. Lifespan Development 24. Loss, Grief, Dying, and Death 25. Health Promotion and Pregnancy 26. Labor and Delivery 27. Care of the Mother and Newborn 28. Care of the High-Risk Mother, Newborn, and Family with Special Needs 29. Health Promotion for the Infant, Child, and Adolescent 30. Basic Pediatric Nursing Care 31. Care of the Child with a Physical and Mental or Cognitive Disorder 32. Health Promotion and Care of the Older Adult
Unit V: Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing 33. Concepts of Mental Health 34. Care of the Patient with a Psychiatric Disorder 35. Care of the Patient with an Addictive Personality
Unit VI: Fundamentals of Community Health Nursing 36. Home Health Nursing 37. Long-Term Care 38. Rehabilitation Nursing 39. Hospice Care
Unit VII: Transition to Professional Nursing 40. Professional Roles and Leadership Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Appendix B: Laboratory Reference Values Appendix C: Answers to Review Questions for the NCLEX® Examination
Kim Cooper, RN, MSN, Chair, Nursing Department Program, Ivy Tech State College, Terre Haute, IN and Kelly Gosnell, RN, MSN, Associate Professor of Nursing
Ivy Tech Community College
Terre Haute, Indiana